whoo hoo! they made a queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DLMKA, Jul 13, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I shook about 3 lbs of bees from my trap-out into an empty nuc, gave them a frame of open brood and a partial frame of honey. That was 3 weeks ago today. Checked them last night to find eggs and some larvae and 2 newly drawn frames, 1 more to go. What worries me though is that the empty queen cell was kind of small and wimpy and now they're working on another, much nicer queen cell. Could they be trying to supercede their emergency queen already?

2. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

I have had it happen alot with package queens. If they had plenty of room, and it sounds like they do, I would probably let them do what they think is right. I started with a friend who is OCD and the bees about drove him insane.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

21 days is not hardly enough time for a new queen and eggs. I think you shook the queen into the nuc and the trap out hive is now queenless. How long had the trap out been going on before you shook bees out of it, or a better question when you started it was it with a frame of eggs, queen cell or queen right hive. In other words did the trap out hive have a queen in it that you could have shook out?

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Well, that's what I thought too but I now have 3 frames with eggs where I only gave them 1. The trapout started with a frame of eggs but I never saw a queen cell. This is a Hogan trap-out and I never saw eggs in my trap box. Could I have trapped a virgin queen from the parent colony?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That would make more sense to me, at 21 days she would just be taking her mating flights.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It doesn't happen often, but I have seen queens laying in 21 days, especially in hot weather. Also, if she started it 21 days ago with a 3 day larva, this is day 24. Very likely a new queen laying.