Why become a doctor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jul 31, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK, first off, this is not meant as a slight towards the medical profession in any way.
    That said, why would anyone want to become a doctor? :???:
    Become a vet instead for heavens sake!

Rosie (our greyhound) came up lame after a hard run with some tight corners she decided to throw in there. Upon closer examination I could see that one of her outermost toes on her hind foot was bent completely sideways.
    Uh Oh!
    Down to the vet we go.
    While there I realized her shots were due so might as well get that done too.
    Vet says maybe dislocated or broken toe, needs x-rays. OK
    Because she is over 7, needs blood work done in order to put her asleep for the x-ray and possible surgery. Uh, OK.
    I figure while she's out cold, might as well have her teeth cleaned, get all that tarter scraped off for an extra $50.

Good news, toes not broken, just dislocated, popped it back into place and put splints on it.
    Teeth are cleaned and shots all up to date, come and get her!
    Are you ready for this?

$845! :shock:

Now I'm not gonna badmouth the folks who took care of her for a few hours, we're grateful for the care she received, but WOW, why didn't I stay in school past high school?
    When it comes to our pets, we never think twice, they are members of our family after all, and are treated as such, but........WOW!:shock:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Around here it is getting harder and harder to find a large animal vet, and one that will make a farm call is even more slim. They will all tell you that the dog and cat vets is where the money is at.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

And for a foot X-ray if the dog is not hyper active , there is NO REASON to have to put her under . Just easier for them and pays much better.
    In the time it took to do blood work they could have done the X-ray.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had a sist [sp?] taken off my dog's back. Put him under, xrayed, operated, sent sample for cancer check, and kept him over 2 nights. Had blood work done and shots brought up to date. Cost... 175.00

I think your vet is a total rip-off.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Our Vet clinic is a young husband-wife team: she does the small animals, he goes out to the farms. I wish I could go to them for treatment. I have complete confidence that they will do what they think best.

I don't really know if they are more or less expensive than anywhere else, but I do know they care.

Walt

6. Charles

Charles New Member

I think you have an exceptionally inexpensive vet. You can't hardly walk into the office for that around here.

We have a 10 year old golden that got those cysts on his eyelids that so many goldens get. Put to sleep (anesthesia), shots, teeth cleaned, blood work, and one night. The bill was close to $800

7. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Last experience that I had with a vet was getting a dog neutered and vaccinated a couple of years ago. It was an over-night stay and set me back $125. I'm not too far from Iddee. Maybe we just have cheap dog-care around here.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe there's competition--that usually has the effect of pulling down prices. :eek:

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife had spinal surgery a couple of weeks ago and the surgeon's bill was $14,000 for 1.5 hours work. I guess being a doctor isn't so bad either.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an efmesch snip...
    Maybe there's competition--that usually has the effect of pulling down prices.

tecumseh:
    I would suggest as an economist this is vastly over rated as a means of keeping prices in check.

at one time in my little life I kept company with a large number of vets all trained at the same school and all with large $ figures of their own value and uniqueness drilled into their little skulls as a complimentary product of their public subsidized education. almost all only wanted to work on cats and dogs since that was where all the money was and almost any farmer has no emotional ties to their animals so you can only expect them to pay so much.

just casually it seems both professions had the same problem. you pick folks for some 'professional' school who's only desire in life is $$$ (and then constantly reinforce this) and that is what you get (there are of course exception which in this paradigm makes the exceptions appear very different).

not so oddly enough I would guess only one in five of the vets I knew had careers that exceeded the length of their publicly subsidized educations. all the ones that stuck tended to be 'the exception' and who also had practices that were large and small animal based.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a cat with a $900 ear. He had a yeast infection in the year, shook his head too hard, and a blood vessel blew. I could not afford the surgery, but the vet said he could die, this is my grown daughter's cat (she was 14 at the time). In the interest of peace in the family, I let the vet do surgery. Follow up care included torturing my cat, squeezing pus out of his ear with him screaming so loud I could hear him from the lobby. And the kicker, vet didn't handle a product one that would beat that yeast infection, I spent over $100 and none of the products worked. 6 months later the 2nd ear swelled up. Cat was on "live or die" status, I went out to the internet, found a $30 product that beat the yeast infection, and the cat healed from his own swelling, that ear doesn't look much worse today than the one the vet did surgery on. I do still use the vet, there are worse around here.

But I no longer count on his diagnostic skills. I use him for surgery (spay/neuter only, and only if a TCAP won't do the animal), shots and heartworm tests. I handle diagnostics and medicine research. Oh the cat is 13, and runs the house.

Gypsi

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gypsi said: "Oh the cat is 13, and runs the house."

Don't they all? :wink:

Our male cat Diesel had an ear blow up to twice it's size a few years ago. The vet said he must have got it caught in something. Anyway, it eventually shrank back to normal but was left all crinkled up. He went around for the next year with one normal ear and one scrunched up ear.
    A year after that didn't he show up with the other ear all blowed up. He now walks around with two scrunched up ears and we get comments like "What an unusual cat with those ears like that, is it some sort of rare breed?" Yup,...........................Dumbo! Guess he didn't learn the first time.

Our female cat Chiclet, is around 13 years old and twice daily has a pill ground up, liquid added and drawn into a syringe (minus needle) and squirted orally with pain med every 3rd day. Hyperthyroidism! :roll:

I realize this probably doesn't make sense to those of you who raise animals for economic purposes, what can I say, we're softies! :mrgreen:

13. Gypsi

They call those fancy ears "cauliflower" ears. That's what the 900 in surgery was supposed to avoid. It comes from having ear mites or yeast in the ear which itches, and the cat shakes its head to hard and blows a blood vessel. But it is definitely not the life-threatening surgical condition my vet implied.

And at the time I had a couple of other cats just catching the yeast infection (houses with aquariums are a bit humid) so I was very motivated to find a cure before all my cats had curly ears. My vet on the other hand, I think he was hoping the other direction. If anyone needs to know Zymox Otic works, and Petmeds.com carries it.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I agree Perry. It is hard for me to justify how the medical field can charge that much for service. The only thing I can figure is that accountability is lost between the medical fee and the insurance company paying.

My youngest broke her thumb last Easter morning from a bicycle crash. Would you believe that costs nearly 6 grand by the time it was over?

15. Gypsi

I opt not to have medical insurance and use a massage therapist who trained in acupuncture for most injuries. If it needs set, I use a sports clinic. $125 will get me an x-ray. No wait. That opt out will have to change I think, but for now, it works.

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well, I know we have a different system up here and for the most part it works well. The pet's vet bills and shots, etc. work out to way more than what we spend on health care. Certain things have a longer wait time, especially for the elderly, like cataract surgery, hip replacement, that sort of thing. But with the population rapidly aging I guess that is to be expected.

17. Gypsi

Perry,

From what I gather you have a pretty good system. Don't get me going on doctors today. We kinda pay a lot of money for people that fumble around and write prescriptions for drugs we are allergic to or that have massive side effects instead of treating the cause of the disease.

My experience. Your mileage may vary. I'm good with the sports clinic and my massage therapist. I have drug allergies. My vet is better than my last 3 doctors and he's no brilliant mind.

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Better to follow than to lead that trend! :eek:ldtimer: