Why bottle?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by CeeGee, Jul 19, 2012.

1. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Learning the mead thing this year.
    This forum has been most helpful, and books (Complete Mead-maker and others)
    I've found everything about when and how to bottle, and how to store, etc, but (and keep in mind I am not a drinker, least a wine connoiseur) why do we bottle, or is it solely for convenient portability? Will 6 more months in the carboy be any different that 6 months in a bottle? Noob question, I know, but I cant find an answer anywhere and I'm just curious.
    Thanks

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you leave it in the carboy, you are storing the mead on the yeast cells which eventually decompose and give their own (negative) taste to the mead. If you siphon it off into another carboy, leving the settled yeast behind, it should be no different than transferring it to bottles. Assumedly, however, you'll want to serve the mead from bottles (they can be refrigerated before drinking, something considerably more difficult with a carboy). Then again, if you should store in the carboy and pour into bottles (before cooling/serving/drinking), what stays behind in the carboy is exposed to increasing amounts of oxygen over and over each time you pour out, something generally considered to be detrimental to the quality of the mead. If you siphon off the lees, store in the carboy and after six months bottle it all at the same time, there should be no difference.
    Bottom line, you don't have to distribute the mead into bottles, but it is advisable for a quality product. :drinks:

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

for me its just as important to have them in smaller bottles for use as it is to have the carboys empty to try my next wine recipe, the real trick once you have bottled it all if it turned out to be a real nice wine (like my apple/golden raisin mead) is to leave any in the little bottles:lol:

4. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Thanks - that's what I was looking for. I've seen claims to bottle after 4 months, and other that say wait at least 8-12 months, and I got to wondering that as long as it's off the lees, does it really matter? (The serving-out-of-carboy/O2-exposure makes sense though.)