Why here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

In the grand scheme of things, I have not really been a member of this forum for all that long.
    I initially joined in August of 09 but was not all that active in the beginning. I have belonged to a couple of other forums and still look in on one periodically but decided a few months ago to make this one my "home".

I have noted as of late that this forum seems to be growing leaps and bounds and I have wondered to myself why (besides the obvious "it's great"). I understand that a lot more folks are concerned about "the bees" and as such are getting involved in one way or another and I think that's great. But that alone surely does not account for the growth that this site has experienced over the last few months , so what is it?

The conclusion I have come to (right or wrong) is this:

Quite simply, it is friendly here.

There have been few if any arguements that I can recall, although healthy but respectful disagreements do occur occasionally. That is healthy, debate must occur as agreement on everything is not honest.
    It seems that when anyone "signs on" to this forum, an unwritten understanding that "egos" and "attitudes" are left at the door has been almost universal in it's acceptance by those that choose to participate. Questions are encouraged here and answers are usually timely (comparably speaking) which can be a great source of relief to those of us that on occasion find ourselves stumped and rattled.
    (it has worked well for me :mrgreen: )

I understand that there are ebbs and tides/ups and downs in life, and that growth such as that experienced here can come with the inevitable growing pains associated with it, but when I'm on a rollercoaster I've never been accused of not waving my arms in the air and yelling for all I'm worth!
    :yahoo:
    Next stop.......50,000!

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I totally agree with you. We are growing and will continue to grow as people find there is actually a place to talk and learn about bees without the worry of being used as a whipping post. As is the case on some forums. Im sure we will have some growing pains but a well moderated forum made up with good members that can agree to disagree will make for a good experience for all.

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Cause they joke with me. :) I feel welcomed here and not half ignored like I was on other forums.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

now you just get right back over in timeout young lady. I got a grenade :D

5. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

awww.. See i finally get a chance to come play and you put me in time out. pssssshhhh

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like the rat's wife broke her rolling pin and the rat is looking for another source for his beatings. :shock: :lol:

I came here after more than 5000 posts on another bee forum, then got into it with a moderator over politics. The forum owner sided with the moderator, naturally, since he supports the same party, so I left. That's why there isn't any politics here.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

I eat grenades for breakfast. With yogurt.[​IMG]

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I like yougut grenades too. :) greek style

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dont make me send you 2 out to get a switch :Dancing: :drinks:

10. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Is this one good? ----------<

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

And don't forget Perry... we're all darned good looking too.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"We're all darned good looking too".

You noticed that as well? :mrgreen:

(I'm just surprised no one has complained about having to look at my ugly mug in the column to left for the last while) :lol:

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

I had to turn avatars off after your pic scared my kids too many times ..... :lol:

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good one Zulu! :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:
    That's how I control my boy!
    The other thing I tell him is that he reminds me of me at his age, so he'll probably look just like me when he groes up! :shock: :mrgreen:

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

back to Perry's original question..

I am here only because I am a pretty tough cookie (one of my ethnically unchallanged friends call me 'scary'... which may only make sense in 'the hood') and Iddee is the only moderator around liberal enough to allow to to stay and to put up with my somewhat obvious multi personality disorder. most folks (i suspect) never come to really understand my sense of humor or the fact that most times I am just asking question (not really taking a position pro or con). this suggest to me that some folks position (on things related to beekeeping and not) are likely not defendable. evidently some folks lives are way too serious and even without any credentials to demonstrate expertise they 'obviously' have all the answers.

Somewhat like my brother Iddee I was toss from one site after almost 8000 post and only after having every post I made to that forum in the last two years reviewed and many deleted (most time with some personally demeaning deletion comment that had nothing to do with my comment). I did obtain the understanding of what being stalked felt like on that forum. I likely first got on 'the risk list' on that forum due to some comment I made in regards to a comment (I though it was funny) made by Iddee which one of the moderators read way out of context (<probably suggest if you want to be offended you likely will be). My final analysis there was the owner had an agenda (i think at that particular time it was about promoting Michael Bush and small cell) and anyone that had the nerve to ask serious question about either was soon to see the boot.

I have also visit another site where I was ask to leave by the owner pretty quick (I had actually 'figured out' that site way before the inevitable). It was quite obvious to me the owner was a long term drunk and any 'conversation' with him were much like any conversation you might have with a drunk after 1 am. A good number of the members also appeared to be drunks... so it was like a virtual bar for drunk beekeepers*.

*as a tangent I will say that years ago when I was describing my original mentor to beekeeping to the commercial bee keeper for who I was working I mentioned that the fellow (who he definitely did not know) was known about town as the local drunk. my commercial bee keeping employer explained to me that this was not unusual character trait for bee keepers.

16. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I like it here because it's a good, friendly spot . You get real down to earth answers. Yes, I've seen several boards I won't go to now. They are stuffy, starchy, and quite snide. I think that they need a 10 year experience requirement to post. Otherwise, you're an oaf target....I feel small enough, thanks....So, I relax here when I can, and learn to be a better keeper more and more each day. ( I'll that one ranks good on the humble meter )... :lol:

17. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

:) What sense of humor RU talkin' 'bout? :)

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the multi personality disorder 'thingee' does give some folks the pause. even if they do laugh they often times laugh at the wrong time.

19. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Aww Tech I think I mostly get you.

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Awww tec, remember how we use to watch and listen to what old people said and done and laugh about it. :lol: Well now it's our turn to be on the other side. :roll: Jack