why i love stinging, flying, insects.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Mar 19, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

over the years i have been stung in a variety of places, (never on the face) but this weekend i received a sting to the shin bone. i was lifting hive bodies to get to the bottom board and the little gal nailed me through the coveralls. (was wearing shorts underneath). had to ignore it and keep moving, and did not get to removing the stinger right away.

ZING and YOWSER, there is no meat there, i have plenty of other places of muscle tissue and ‘fat cells’ that have not produced the reaction. am gimping around with an ice pack pasted on......

never been stung on the backside either (whoops shouldn’t say that outloud) but a friend of mine decided he was going to help me move hives one time. before he could get his veil on he received a sting to his nose….. when he bent over to lace up his boots, he left a wide open spacious target between the plumber shirt and the plumber pants (falling down his behind), for the girls to grace him with their glory, and that they did. i must say, it was very hard to move hives that day, every time I looked at him all i saw was a mini golf ball where his nose was…..

his wife wasn’t too happy with either of us, daughter was getting married the next day…..you know, long lasting family type photographs thing…….
    :doh:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

PhotoShop to the rescue! :lol:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

(never on the face)

Man, you don't know what you are missing. You've never had a GOOD sting until you get one in the corner of your eye, right on the tear duct. That will make you sing and dance like Chubby Checker. "and will teach you to say new words you have never said before, too". :thumbsup: :lol:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I always thought it was a right of passage or something like that to get you eye swelled shut at least once!!:lol::lol:

You going to post up the wedding photo? :grin:

5. T.J.

T.J. New Member

the last time i was stung by a honey bee (a few years ago) it was on the lip.looked like someone gave me a good punch in the mouth :lol:. and it was also a situation like riverbee talked about.....the day before my sisters wedding.....it does make for some interesting photos:rolling:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

sorry guys,
    and iddee, i think i shall pass on what i am missing!
    i am not going for the eye shut thing or the right of passage g3!.....i did a little chubby checker thing on the shin, and some fubar words hanging onto to that heavy top hive body, and are you serious, right there right now?! but nothing to compare to the face.

i paid attention to one thing from my curmudgeon mentor, PROTECT YOUR FACE!.....i have seen my mentor put on a tie on veil too many times, and he wasn't into tying that thing shut........i have seen the bees get him in both eyes, and he would always swear and cuss like a southerner, and do a dance like no guy i had ever seen dance.... heard plenty of vocabulary that enriched my dictionary and my knowledge for life of keeping bees!

whats funny is when i get real busy and not paying attention all of a sudden you look and start staring at the bees on your veil.....you guys know what i am saying....ARE THEY ON THE INSIDE or THE OUTSIDE.....

btw, no matter what all these fancy photo enhancement programs are, they cannot 'fix' a swollen face, eyes shut and a golf ball sized nose for wedding pictures!

7. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

ARE THEY ON THE INSIDE or THE OUTSIDE.....

So I don't wear a veil more often than I do...
    But I've been stung in the center of my right eye upper lid once...
    So now I wear a wide wide brimmed straw hat and close fitting wrap-around safety glasses. So, now I get stung in the nose alot! But hey, they don't swell any more so I'm good for the pictures!

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Riverbee, reading your title to this thread, I was sure you were going to tell us something about how you love mosquitoes and other such mild biters.
    When I first moved to Israel, I had to learn to live with what is locally called "bar-hash" (I think they are called midges but I'm not sure). They are tiny, love to get you anywhere you are exposed, but particularly into your ears and have a terribly annoying high pitched buzz. There's no monkey business with them. They dive bomb you and bite in an instant and leave a terribly itching bite that makes a mosquito bite into a pleasure. If You scratch it--you're lost. It'll "reward" you by swelling like a good bee sting and it'll last you for a good week or so, usually developing into a "weeping sore". For a while I would go into the wheat fields to harvest on the combine COMPLETELY covered, head to toe (a beekeeping veil wouldn't keep them out they're so small) in the 35C (90+ F) heat. (Those were the days before air conditioning came to combines). Eventually, I learned to control myself and not scratch--the bites would itch/burn violently for about 1/2 and hour and then subside. Give me bee stings anyday.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Close, but no cigar! :lol:

[​IMG]

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry you need to try a little harder, ding ding round two :lol:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry,
    now that is funny, did you change your name to 'good looking' or did i miss something?!!!!!
    BTW, your eye IS NOT SHUT.....doesn't count!
    :lol:

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry,
    apparently that girl was on the INSIDE and not the OUTSIDE of the veil?
    very funny g3!

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HAHA I missed the name change!! :rolling::rolling:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Good lookin perry,
    where are you????!!!!

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, did I spot two stings there or am I just seein' "wishful thinking"? :box::rotfl:

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Actually Efmesch, I am pretty sure it was only once. It is the area just above my eyebrow. For whatever reason the swelling travelled around and below my eye as well.
    I have to admit that on a time or two when a bee has gotten inside my veil I have rung my own bell trying to squash her before I get it somewhere tender. I have boxed my own ears a few times in such an effort! :lol:

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My Dad use to tell a good one on a buddy of his from work. Dad was a construction engineer at the plants in Oak Ridge (think big secret guvment project site with bunches of money). The story goes................one day they were out doing what ever they did out there and a wasp flew up his buddies nose and stung him. After the cussing, stomping and face slapping fit was over Dad took him to the infirmary to let the nurses laugh....look at him. They were not sure what to do except to put ice on the sting area. The nurses had been playing around with some rubber gloves and had filled them up with water and frozen several. Retrieving a frozen "hand" from the freezer they proceeded to stick one of the fingers up his nose to to get the poor fella some relief. Dad said it made him feel a little better so and off they went back to their job, with his buddy in tow with a finger up his nose.

18. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Riverbee, In the winter and during cold months I admit I can be a bit lazy about my bee safety. One day in Feb this year I went out to the hives to "just take a peek" and see if they needed sugar bricks. As I have done dozens of times before I usually carefully and quietly lift the inner cover and if I see any bees in or around the sugar bricks they usually ignore me and go about their business. NOT this day. As soon I lifted the inner cover BANG :shock:.......got me right between the eyes. It was like they were waiting with a sling shot. Now I have gone back to wearing the veil.

Jim

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Boiler Jim, i guess i learned right away to protect my face and always wear a veil after seeing my mentor being stung on the eyes and face, and he wasn’t one to tie his veil up very well, (plus a number of other things…for one, his smoker was always going out!) the bees were always on the INSIDE of his veil not the outside, and he wasn’t one to be real gentle sometimes. when working the bees with him, I would get to the point where I would stand back, because he always seemed to rile them up and just cuss and swear…..and then look at me and say that I couldn’t learn anything standing 3o feet away from him…..!!! duh, I said I am learning plenty……!!! I have ventured to ‘cheat’ sometimes, like mowing or weed whipping around them without a veil, always sent me for running for the veil! or a late winter check or two and having them fly up and greet me in the face as you described, and again, sent me running for the veil!

sorry guys, gotta pretty girl face! :)0) !

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do this long enough and the mind can only image the places you may be stung!

never really been stung 'there' but I did see a young over energetic fellow take a wallop to the 'family jewels'... so to speak. then he had the bad sense to step backward and step right off the deck of a 18 wheeler flat deck trailer. I seem to recall the action and reaction both appear to hurt somewhat <everyone including myself broke out in a large laugh which was not really what we should have done.

the worst case for myself was some years ago I had a bee get in my veil and then proceeded to craw in my ear canal and stung me just inside the ear canal itself. that hurt, but then that little fool begin pulling on the hairs in my ear and buzzing insanely (I was the one who seemed to bee going crazy at that momment).