Why so many ticks now?

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by power napper, Apr 17, 2013.

1. power napper

power napper New Member

Yesterday was a pretty nice day, some gardening etc, decided to go look for some morel mushroom, none up yet so came back home and did some minor "2do"s". Took a shower before bed time and found a miniscule teeny tiny deer tick embedded in my left arm pit. Now I can not say that I was surprised, I am a tick magnet--younger guys like to think that they are "Chick magnets" when young but at my age I have to be happy with "tick magnet". I often wonder how in the world are there so many ticks in todays environment, is it a coincidence, is it a result of a erroneous experiment, is it a cycle of nature? I sure do not know the answer. Anyone have any ideas as to why this explosion of the tick population has occurred?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No, but if that thing was imbedded, get yourself checked for Lyme Disease deer ticks are notorious for carrying it.
    I am like you, I seem to attract them as well (it doesn't help that a lot of my yards are in areas with tall grass).

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Like Perry says, check for lyme disease. Don't make light of it. A few members of the forum have come down with it and you wouldn't want to re-live some of their "horror stories".

4. pturley

pturley New Member

Like any host/parasite relationship, abundance is limited by the host species. Do you have a lot of deer or other mammals in your area?

Deer ticks parasitize and rely on a variety of hosts to complete their life cycle. The larva (nearly microscopic) are generally carried by birds and small rodents. Adults are found on larger rodents and deer.

Did you keep the tick? If you are concerned, it may be advisable to store it in rubbing alcohol for testing should you start showing symptoms. Even if exposed to Lyme's disease, it can take several weeks before your immune response reaches a detectable level.

BTW: Per the link below: infection from adult ticks is rare as these are usually found and removed shortly after they attach to a host. It's the larvae (that would stay attached for prolonged periods) that you need to be concerned with.

http://www.aldf.com/deerTickEcology.shtml

5. power napper

power napper New Member

Thank you Perrybee and efmesch for your concerns of Lyme Disease. I am quite aware of the disastrous effects of the disease, I have had it a couple times the first time in 1989 and back then local doctors had no idea what it was. I just can not understand why so many ticks everywhere when even thirty five years ago ticks were very limited in population. There has to be a reason. Caution is necessary and I even put up full length mirrors to really check thoroughly for ticks. A lot of people in my area have or have had Lyme disease, I totally agree that ticks are not to be taken lightly. I now am curious as to how many beekeepers have or had Lyme disease, a lot of them most likely. My younger brother that lives in Arizona always worried when he visited her in summer about ticks, last week he was bitten and had the bulls eye rash, this tick bite occurred in Mesa Arizona.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Power Napper, make a "google search" for the words lyme disease scientific american. There are a number of articles you can find that should provide an adequate answer to your questions.

7. power napper

power napper New Member

Hello Pturley- yes we have a lot of hosts for the ticks, lots of whitetail deer and plenty of voles and mice and wild rabbits, squirrels and groundhogs and a few bears. Thanks for the reply.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Lyme disease is relatively new though, I think that we have lost some tick nibbling species (think chicken or wild turkey) and that has increased the tick count.

9. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I wonder if the tick borne viruses have changed in the last 40 years. Similar to our varroa borne viruses for bees it is those that are the real issue. My niece is going through a long and debilitating battle with this secondary infection problem. Not every tick bite carries the whole hidden payload. It sure can be a complicated problem in many cases.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I pulled around a couple dozen off me the 3 days I morel hunted. They are bad this year

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

They sure seem to be farther north than they used to be.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Many more ticks this year for sure.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Up north I was given to understand that deer spread them, but I wasn't aware thar the southern states have wild deer. What animals are spreading the ticks down south?

14. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ummm......we have wild deer everywhere down here. I had to put a 10-foot fence around the garden and they still got in. They're all in the yard here. I'll attach a video when I get home this evening.

15. kebee

kebee Active Member

We have thousands of them here also, my granddaughter hit one and wrech the car around 6 mths ago, so efmesch I don't know who told you that but that is a big lie. My brother comes up from Florida and hunts them every year.

kebee

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

This is looking out the door of our den into the yard. If it was deer season, I could get one and never leave the recliner.

[video=youtube_share;dIX4_Vfd1d0]http://youtu.be/dIX4_Vfd1d0[/video]

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Can I assume then, that Florida, as a state further south, doesn't have deer? How's Florida fixed for ticks? :mrgreen::confused:

18. kebee

kebee Active Member

They have deer down his way, not as many as around here I think, he just like to have an excuse to go out of stste to hunt, he has been to Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and a few other. He is getting older now and tend to stay closer to home, don't know about their ticks down that way but problem do have some.

kebee

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Growing up in the country i never got many ticks, and still don't we had free range guinea's and chickens, the guinea's hunt ticks:thumbsup:. I also ate the seeds off the garlic plants and i still take a garlic capsules every day, grandpa said it would keep ticks at bay. It also kept girls from bothering me.:lol: Jack

20. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ive been seriously considering getting guineas for a while now. I may do it this year.