Why so many ticks now?

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by power napper, Apr 17, 2013.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

okay heres a first on ticks for me. I had to have the wife remove one that was attached deep in my belly button. That one didnt feel good getting removed.

2. power napper

power napper New Member

Yesterday our son Jon and I went to set out another bait hive and check on several already placed bait hives. The previous three mornings we had frost here but this week is to heat up into hot humid swarming weather. After placing the new bait hive we went to a hive that I wanted to put some hive staples into for moving when retrieving the bait hive for hauling home. When completed we crawled back into pickup to notice an adult tick crawling up my pants leg. Killed the tick and noticed another one, killed it and got out of truck and checked Jon out, he had two ticks on him, killed them and looked over the floor mats and seats and found one more where I had put my arm on the door--wowsy, five ticks and it was not weedy where we had stapled the hive, it was a mowed lawn.

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

They are bad in our area as well.

4. power napper

power napper New Member

Yesterday afternoon was spent in my blueberry patch weeding around the base of the plants, after showering to go to bed we had to remove two more embedded ticks from me, dang there sure are a lot of ticks this year.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I have a hive at a relative's rural home. Oh my! I never saw so many ticks in my life, and in all different sizes! On my visit last Monday, I startled a wild turkey near the hive. I hope he was eating ticks! Deer and coyotes are prevalent in the area as well. Those horrible little blood suckers are waiting for me under the telescoping lid.
    It's my understanding that if you remove the tick with in 4 hours of attaching themselves, you are not infected with lyme disease.
    I don't like to wear any deet products, especially when working a hive. I have had very good luck putting sulfur powder down in my socks. The ticks and chiggers will stay on the bee suit and shoes, but don't go past the sulfur powder.