Why won't bees around my house move into my hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 28, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I was talking on the mini-chat and asked this question and figured i'd post it here. I mean i have a hive, with water near and comb in it, and they dont even wonder near it? I thought if they saw a larger potenial hive with comb in it they'd at least investigate?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Only when their hive is preparing to swarm anyway. Until then, they are perfectly happy with their present hive. Your hive may set there 10 years before being occupied, if ever.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just because you put a fancy bass boat in the water don't mean fish will jump in it.

Patience grasshopper :lol:

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Get a Swarm;
    This is a sore spot with me most every beginner Bee Keeping Book, and most every one on the forms { like for real, they have all done it} says " no need to buy bees, just catch a swarm !

Bull Hockey !
    There has to be swarming hives in the area, and a hive box sitting near the ground is not a particular popular swarm landing site.

This info. is generally given to Newbees who have actually no hands on experience.

Study, join a Bee Club, save your money, and buy a Nuc, or package of bees, and get into Bee Keeping.

Good Luck

Murrell

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Besides, it's probably still too early in NJ for swarms anyway. It's too early here in NY- no drones even flying yet.

6. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

So there is no chance a bee that has a hive somewhere near my house will say hey colony lets move here? Even if there is comb ans water and such?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

NO, there is no chance whatsoever.....

8. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Well i have taken the large hollow box off the hive, for now at least, and just have the raincover on it. It shuold be more windproof this way and i took off some of the bricks. There is nothing in it yet anyway. I'll just keeping waiting for the swarm call/email then.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Last summer my own hive swarmed, and ended up 40 ft up in a tree overhanging the ravine. I got out a box with lovely drawn comb, a frame of honey, and placed it nearby. Scouts checked it out for a few hours, but they ultimately moved on to another home.

Just goes to show you that humans will never be able to understand what bees (or any other creatures) find to be desirable. Probably different swarms have different criteria, too. A swarm may move in someday, or never. It's unpredictable.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Go to Harvey Honey and buy a Nuc! I just bought two. THe state bee inspector was there and was very impressed with the quantity of bees in the nucs and the overall operation of the apiary.

Good luck!