Wierd hive site for 1st hive??ns , a Warre + Other newbie Warre questio

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by cal, May 5, 2012.

1. cal

cal New Member

HI.
    Three questions, the 1st one the oddest,
    1) Re Hive Stand for Warre Hive:

My son is grown but we still have an elaborate "Little Tikes playground" complete with 3 "standing areas" and 6 foot slide, which the hornets loved last summer.
    It's heavy & the highest platform is 5" high & protected from wind on two sides, but easily accessible to us (-you can see an on-line picture under "Little Tikes Playground", now selling for $799). It's plastic & 14years old & gets warm in summer but only plastic-cold in winter. Depending on the "standing area" hive could have 2 side plastic wall protection or 3.5 side air flow. It's discouraging to bears & skunks but probably little deterrent to ants. Would this be a very very silly or an absolutely ideal hive stand?

2) Are cedar shavings alone, sawdust shavings, or a mix of both best for twin goals of insulation + pest deterrence in insulating blanket?

3) If one does want to partially feed new bees with honey, where does one optimally place that honey to ease access/minimize robbing in/around Warre hive?

2. Omie

Omie New Member

1)- show us a picture or the link to a picture
    2)-too much cedar might repel bees along with other 'pests'. What kind of pests do you have?
    3)- inside the hive is best for deterring robbing. Reduced entrance further discourages robbing.

3. cal

cal New Member

14517162_104673_full.jpg This is what it looks like

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks for the pic.
    I'm sure others will have various suggestions.
    My own personal impulse would be to just sell the playground intact to somebody else and take the money from that and build a nice solid and simple new stand to your preferred measurements out of treated wood. You'd probably come out ahead, money-wise.
    I have to be honest and say i wouldn't want to be looking at those colored plastic towers in my yard forever. I like the handsome natural wood look of Warre hives and I myself would want a plain wood stand for them. That's just me. :)

Skunks are no problem if you raise your hives up 12-18" on any stand.
    As to bears- nothing will deter bears except either a strong electric fence or a gun.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Omie: nothing will deter bears except either a strong electric fence or a gun.
    Efmesch: You forgot Omie's magic green paint.
    :club:

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I am not going to say anything about the stand --- if strong enough - anything can work, but remember you must be able to lift boxes off it too.

From your location there should be no reason to insulate unless you are up at 6000 ft or higher in the SW.... I know bees will hive in a Cedar tree as I have seen them in one

Feeding, MUCH MUCH Cheaper to feed sugar water rather than Honey, but if you really want to, 100 plus feet away from the hives or inside the hive using a feeder or if still in frames just put them in the hive.