Wild and crazy girls

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 16, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was picking sweet corn next to my bee yard and saw a swarm in process, it settled on a vitex bush next to another hive (2 ft. off the ground) I went and got a 10 frame deep hive with some drawn comb, when i got back they were in the air again?? This time they settled on a tree limb 10 ft. up and hanging on a tree limb over a deep branch, i set the hive down in the weeds next to the fence, climed the fence and got ahold of the limb and pulled it over the top of the hive and shook them on top of the hive and they started down into the frames.I put the lid on and went back picking corn, about 3 min. later i heard a loud buzz and seen them swirling above the hive and settled in a tree about 50 ft. above the branch. I took the empty hive and set it in the bee yard on a stack of concrete blocks (3 high) and put about 6 drops of lemongrass oil (3 on landing board and 3 on a frame) went back to picking corn. Came back an hour later and they were going in the hive, checked them this mourning and they were busy coming and going :thumbsup: Isn't that just like women, they have to do it their way. :mrgreen: Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You can't be rough with them wimmens ya know. A little sweetness goes a long way.

Glad you got them put up.

You must have gotten some pretty good rain, my corn dried up before it ever made anything.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3, yep the rain came just right so far, i have a field comming on next week (stowells evergreen) and three more fields later(Ambrosia).I planted a small field a week ago and it's up and should be ready the last week of Sept., time will tell. With the weather, coons,red wing blackbirds, and worms, it's a crap shoot :confused: .My tomatoe's are looking good (600 plants) lots of tomatoes setting on and some the size of a baseball. In my spare time i'm going to have to pull honey and extract,customers coming to the door and calling ever day.Been to busy to check the bees, that's why they swarmed, didn't find which hive swarmed. Jack