Wild comb

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Mar 27, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

OK, 13 days past, we went out last week, saw some activity at the box that we set out, but also noticed alot of was crumbs on the bottom of the box. We saw no guards, no fanning etc., just bees coming and going, flying a beeline into the nearby woods.
    Tonight, weather permitting I'm going back over to remove the box, I figure it's probably empty, all the traffic that I saw was robbing in progress.
    The tree still has alot of comb inside, would it be a good idea to try and salvage as much as I can of the old comb? Maybe clean it, freeze it and use it in traps?
    Temps are in the 30s this week, hard freeze last night, any swarms that happened in the past week or so hopefully will survive.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Do you have drones flying in your area yet? I have a few drone capped brood cells in one hive, but no drones are flying yet- it's wicked cold here now too! i don't think my hives will make any swarm cells until there are drones around for a new queen to mate with- just trying to think like the bees! ;)

Yes you can freeze pieces of old brood comb and then place them in swarm traps. (I wouldn't put them in my regular hives though). the scent on used brood comb is a powerful lure to scout bees. You can increase your chances of success by putting a few drops of real lemongrass oil in your swarm lure box. Don't use too much- 3-5 drops every few weeks is plenty. You can buy a small bottle of that oil in any natural foods store- a bottle will last a couple years at least. All that said, I have yet to catch a swarm! :grin:

3. melrose

melrose New Member

After the robbing, I blocked off the entrances to all my hives, after opening and inspecting... When I reopened to take boxes back to the house, I did find some dead drones in one of the hives (thinking I was sure that cleaned those frames off last time was inside them) Didn't know they would die that quickly, only being trapped inside a few days.
    Thought surely the girls would've kicked them out for the winter.