Wild Swarms vs. Packaged Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by blueblood, May 6, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I completed some inspections today on my first two packaged hives and two captured swarm hives. I was excited to see a nice robust queen in each of the swarm hives. I found the queens in the packaged hives too. I discovered the swarm hives have drawn out just as many frames as the packaged bees have in less than half the time. Is this typical? My packaged colonies have been hived since April 3rd and there were some cold nights the first two weeks or so...maybe it slowed them down. I pasted a couple pictures of the queen from the first swarm I caught. Pics are not the best.
    0506121746b.jpg 0506121746c.jpg

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I find that swarms will build more comb than a package. The bees that swarmed have filled their bellies up with honey before they swarm, so they are ready to build comb at their new place of residence as soon as they arrive.

The package bees are removed from a hive with no warning, so they have to locate souces of nectar and pollen before going into the building mode.

Robert

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

She looks good from here, nice and fat. I guess it depends on the queen. I have one swarm that has already filled a double deep, I added a super today. I have another one caught a couple of days later that is still working on the first deep. I have a package in a topbar that has nearly finished drawing their 10th frame.
    Jim

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I caught a very large swarm the other night, about 6 pounds. Filled a five frame deep solid. Moved them over to a ten frame deep the next day and they had pulled both sides of five frames out at least a 1/8" to 1/4".

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That is fantastic! Crazy stuff...

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Crazy is right! I am envious of you guys and your swarms!
    That queen looks beautiful- so big and so striped! Wonderful.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Swarms are in comb building mode and are comb-drawing machines. :thumbsup: