Will be starting to seriously feed bees whats best

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Sep 15, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Today or tomorrow I will be feeding the bees. Trying to decide best technique to use, sugar syrup, sugar slurry, or dry sugar. I know with dry sugar they will have to work to hydrate and process the sugar. the slurry is already wet but they will still need to hydrate more, sugar syrup requires the least work for the bees, but have ant problems with weak hives and 3 of 4 are weak. I doubt seriously that the bees will start a serious brood this late in the season at this point barring some totally unforseen contitions. There are few substancial nectar flows left to come execpting those that begin in the beginning of the next year. Ideas???
    Barry

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would feed 2 to 1 this time of the year using a hive top feeder. Use cinnamon on the top cover to help keep the ants away. This works for my region but unsure about florida maybe someone in your reagion will chime in:thumbsup:

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If your truely fortunately you don't know what fire ants are, but they are exceedingly aggressive and more then willing to sting you for whatever the offense you commited against them. I have hive top feeders and will use them try the cinnamon thanks.
    Barry

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

If you have 4 hives and 3 are weak, maybe combine them into 2 strong hives now, before cold weather starts? Then you'd let them settle and prepare themselves for winter as 2 hives, you could still feed them if you want. That might improve your chances of having survivors in the Spring, more than just feeding weak hives could do.

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

here in florida so long as you feed the weak hives they will produce young even middle of winter, only time I combine hives is when I have a queen Im going to pinch then I combine with a nuc with a new queen I started to replace the queen I pinched, I may see a week maybe 2 at the most below the temp where bees wont take 2 to 1, as for the ants I use high temp axle grease around the legs of my stands, Im not sure about the spot Barrys at but here the farmers fields have good things for the bees almost all winter season and even now the Brazilian pepper trees are just starting to bloom and its a major source.

6. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I'm in agreement with Omie's answer. feeding 2:1 ( I like to add HBH as well) can be helpful if necessary.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I am feeding 3 out of 4 of my hives now. weather is still warm enough for bees to be foraging. I am feeding 2 to 1 sugar water in order that they can have maximum stores going into winter. Will switch to candy boards as soon as bees stop foraging. I have two 5 fames nucs that will have nothing much more than what I provide through the entire winter. barely feeding themselves now even though largest hive is foraging like mad. simply not enough population at this time. These nucs will be dicey at best.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

when I checked 3 or four hives in a more detailed inspection--almost NOTHING in the way of eggs and larvae, and scattered sealed brood nothing like what I would expect from previous experience with same colonies, the 4th hive still reasonable strong, didn't dig into the lower brood box, but no further work being done in the upper box since early july I could well imagine a constricted brood pattern again I can only assume that there was and maybe still is no or slow necatr froms. ZooKeeper, we have brazilian pepper trees, but not in large stands, spanish needles are blooming, but bees don't seem interested in them much, ster is open in large quanities, and Crepe Mertle still blooming tro some degree. Bees are working something, but seem to be consuming faster then can be collected.
    Barry

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I had 1 hive with the scattered brood like you are talking about and it turned out to just be a queen problem, the other 4 hives in the same location are still pulling comb and building up, soon as she was replaced everything picked up pace like it should be.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I feed 1 to 1 here simply because it is easy and the bees pick it up from the feeder extremely quickly. Fire ants are a problem that them 'yankee beekeepers' do not get to enjoy and are therefore don't understand the GREAT HAZARD they represent.

in the midst of winter I believe a candy board is one of the best mechanism for feeding bees but you do need fairly constant cold weather to keep any fire ants from turning this better idea into a tragedy.

11. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I checked my top par, queen has room for laying on 6 bars of comb. pattern is about half empty but where their is brood it is a fairly solid pattern. I am taking it that she is starting to taper off for winter.

This swarm only drew a total of 13 bars and none of them completely all summer. Very sad showing.
    I am not at all sure what to do for them if anything. Should I pinch the queen and add the girls to my nucs that could really use the boost?