Will bees become used to you?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I just want to know that if i pop near the hive from time to time just walk by or something if the bees will be able to smell me and eventually notice i am no threat. I want them to like me, if this is possible how long until it can be achieved?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You are fooling with a bunch of women you know!!

Just me personally but I believe each hive has its own personality, and at different times of the year you will get different reactions also.

Walking in there flight path will get you popped some days and not others.

I think it has a lot with how you handle yourself around them, slow and deliberate actions seem to work the best.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Bees have a very short life time, about 5 weeks, so they are continusaly changing.

When you open a hive, there are thousands of bees doing their thing, many not paying any attention to you.

The bees you see flying this week are most probably new bees, not the ones you saw a week or two ago.

Murrell

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

They do get used to them... you can if you want, squirt a little syrup across the top bars every time you get into them and they'll be a lot more forgiving... and if you walk by regularly they'll get used to you. Of course, there's new bees all the time that don't know you yet, and those are the ones you gotta watch out for... so ignore the other 30,000 bees since they'll be used to you, but watch out for the 6,000 or so that are new guard bees that don't know you from adam.

5. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I had no idea that they only live for 5 weeks. Any other tid-bits of information i shuold know. Thank all

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Probably. At least that's always been my experience... there are still tidbits of information that I should know... but don't yet.

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

8. phazei

phazei New Member

Whew, thank FSM. I was worried there for a moment.

-Adam

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member