Will bees finish drawing partially filled frames?

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by Duck1968, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

Last year I started 2 packages with partially drawn foundationless frames from a dead out. I thought that they would finish drawing them out. The bees drew 16 new frames out top to bottom but never drew any new comb on the old frames. Will they ever finish these frames? Or should I cut the wax out and render it and then put the cleaned frames in a new split this year?

Thanks Brian

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

drawing comb is largely a function of timing (around a flow or feeding somewhat intermediate term).

3. Omie

Omie New Member

My guess is that they'll finish drawing the partially drawn frames when they feel they need more comb area. Think of the partially drawn comb as 'a really good comb guide'. ;)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would stick the partials in between two of the fully drawn combs come this spring flow. They will use it. Drawn comb to me is like gold and really gives the bees a jump start. Just think of it as if you were moving, would it be quicker to move into a house that is build (or partially built) or start breaking new ground.

5. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

Thanks

I will give them one more try to finish drawing them out.

6. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

New, foundationless comb seems to be built best (or finished best) when sandwiched between two combs of nearly solid brood, and there are plenty of young bees with nectar enough to keep their bellies full.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012