Will Thymol Induce Robbing?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Oct 2, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Yesterday, late, I applied ApiGuard to my hive. Today, I have had the worst robbing frenzy ever. I reduced the entrance and then threw a wet sheet over the hive to keep things under control...but it was bad. Are these two things related or just a coincidence?:confused:

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

litefoot,
    i have not experienced robbing of my hives in the past using apiguard. (i don't use any treatment anymore). are you feeding your bees?

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Maybe the bees were compromised by having to deal with the Apiguard, which was an alien irritant, and they were suddenly less able to keep robbers out because they were now busy dealing with another type of 'invasion'- the Apiguard...which might be disrupting their defense and communication abilities? Just a guess.

4. litefoot

litefoot New Member

OK, here's what's going on. I put a full dose of ApiGuard between the two deeps, when I should have halved the dose. Then the robbing started and (as Omie mentioned), the bees were dealing with the fumes and robbing at the same time. Then when I closed down the entrance against the robbing, on a hot day today, the fumes inside got worse. Anyway, tonight, I have two large clusters outside the hive which are, I assume getting fresh air and/or returning foragers that get confused by fumes, wet sheets and closed down entrances. I opened the front entrance wide open after the sun went down and opened a large gap at the top to, hopefully, air out the hive throughout the night. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

There's a good chance the robbers will return, so maybe I'll remove the ApiGuard until things settle down.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Sometimes we try to 'help' our bees so much that we really mess them up.

Did you remove the Apiguard? (if that's possible)

After everything settles down you'll have to check on:
    1) with all the robbing, does the hive now have enough stores for winter?
    2) did the queen become injured, sick, or die during all this?- you'll need to check to find her or fresh eggs a little while from now. If she's been hurt, I'm not sure you'll have time to replace her at this time of year unless you buy a laying queen. If you see fresh eggs like 10 days from now, you are ok.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

litefoot,
    check for the things omie outlined in her post, when the hives settle down, and i would be tempted to lock in the robbing hive to check the robbed hive.

the apiguard does not go between the deeps, it goes on top. you the beekeeper removed the top deep, and exposed the hive. anytime we start cracking open and separating boxes this time of year will set off robbing. what omie said, and i would say removing the deep and overdosing caused the robbing, not the apiguard itself.
    apiguard will send them out the front door if not used properly, and i would not use an entrance reducer. do you have top entrances you can screen off (ventilation) or a robbing/moving screen you can put on the front?
    can you 'lock down' the hive that is robbing?

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Been out of town a few days. Just wanted to update what 's going on. I removed what was left of the ApiGuard before I left. Lynn said the bees finally moved back in a day after that. She kept the reducer on during the day and opened the hive back up in the evening for more ventilation. We thought things were back to normal, but yesterday when I got back home, I noticed that robbbers are back. We have not been feeding since this all started. At least the thymol odor is all aired out.

I built Iddee's robber screen today and installed it. Thanks, Iddee, for the great instructions. I wish I could get rid of the robbers because I really need to feed as much as possible. Am I OK to use the top feeder with the robbers hanging around as long as I don't open up the hive?

I'd like to find (or evidence of) the queen, but I don't dare open the hive at this point.