Will Vacation Soon Be Obsolete?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I have just returned from a few days of much needed (perhaps not deserved, but needed) vacation. I combined a trip to pick up clover seed with a few days in San Antonio. We hadn't been to San Antonio for 6 or 7 years, and it was quite enjoyable. But, I noticed one constant...

People were either staring at their phones or texting. It wasn't just one place. It was at the Botanical Gardens, Riverwalk, Zoo, Missions, Market Square, Restaurants...and it wasn't just one, it was many. I almost walked over a guy that just had to stop and text (at least he didn't walk into a fountain, or the river). :grin:

I know the age of technology has past me by...that was evident by the number of inputs, plugs and the like that were on the TV in the hotel. Simply Amazing!

But, I'm just wondering, at some point in time will vacation be obsolete and everyone will just stare at the palm of their hand? I always looked at vacation as a get away and recharge. Seems now there is no get away. What do y'all think?

Walt

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm with you 100%. I am always watching to see if any of these thumb masters is gonna walk face first into a parking meter or something! :lol:

My loving wife thoughtfully bought me an Ipod a couple of Christmas' ago. Actually she got both my son and I each one. I carefully waited a week or two and then gently asked if I could return mine as I thought it would be altogether too frustrating and vexing. She understandingly agreed...................and I placed my order with Country Fields Beekeeping Supplies a couple hours later!
    :mrgreen:
    I realize that perhaps I am a dinosaur when it comes to these things and I am probably being left behind (but I am happily doing so) :lol:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not me. I'm right up there with the latest and greatest. I even got me one of them new phones with the buttons. No more spinning the wheel to make a call.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hang on will add my 2 cents to the thread as soon as I finish texting:grin:

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I think I am the reincarnation of Ned Ludd. No cell phone, no call waiting, no TV. no Facebook or twitter! It cuts down on a lot of twaddle! I do spend too much time though on this box to keep somewhat connected with whats going on in the world.

6. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I search for vacation spots that don't have internet or cell access. I have to deal with computers all day every day. Sometimes it is difficult to break away if it is still available.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my wife and I go to a little key where cellphones dont even work, now thats a vacation:thumbsup: we hide from technology and we plan on moving there in the future.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It makes you wonder how we ever survived this long without cell phones!

But I hate to go anywhere without my ipod. Thousands of songs at my fingertips. I venture to say that radio stations will be obsolete, soon, too.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i see riverrat beat me to texting my answer :lol:

i'm hearing ya walt, and i'm with you on some of this fangled stuff, and folks texting each other across a room :shock:
    i don't own a cell phone, you couldn't give me one....

10. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Upon further reflection, this may just be the "now" manifestation of "I don't know where I am, and I don't care".

Years ago, we used to take a couple of weeks of February vacation in the British Virgin Islands on a Windjammer. We met a couple of very nice Canadian women who were there for a cruise and then a stay in Barbados. They had no idea where they were and where they were going. I showed them a chart of where they were and had been; they wondered where Barbados was and I pointed out to the sea and said, "With the same scale as the chart, about a mile that way." :lol:

Anyway, the folks staring at their hand in San Antonio seemed content...it just seemed to this old geezer that something (everything?) was being missed.

Walt

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It is easy to take a vacation from my
    Smart phone, just leave it indoors.
    Bees and chickens eliminated my
    Vacations.

12. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

We're lucky. We have a very attentive vet where we leave the cat and are blessed with one of the world's great neighbors: she was anxious to look after the chickens. She's going to stop by and tell us some "chicken stories". :smile: I figured the bees could go a few days without my interference...but come Saturday their peace and quiet will have been ended. :wink:

Walt

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

most of the time we get no cell service at home, and until a day or two ago we had no phone at home... it felt like a vacation a lot of the time. When we went into town I would try to check voice mail messages and return the calls I had time to make.

Unfortunately some folks like to just keep calling and calling and when they get no answer proceed to call every family member they know until someone drives all the way out here and tells us to call them back. :mad:

I don't know about vacation...I think if I ever get to take one I'll leave my phone off except for an hour or two a day.

14. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

It's possible they were doing a map search to find out where they were or googling for some info about San Antonio.

This may sound mean, but I think cell phones make some people feel self important.

15. larry tate

larry tate New Member

No more spinning the buttons? I thought we still were turning the crank!

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think that cell phones will fairly quickly turn a great number of people into anti social people who have a larger relationship with their phones that they do with people. Fairly soon when they come to the choice of 'either the phone or some person'.... the decision will be self evident. Not so long ago when we were returning from vacation, my wife and I stopped in a cafe and watched a young couple at the next table practically ignore each other as both were totally absorbed in their cell phones. This couple might as well have been dining alone. This only suggest to me a psychological profile that is self centered, self absorbed and certainly (at least I believe) the eventual results will be an increase in sociopathic personality disorder.

17. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

As an OTR truck driver, my cell phone is my lifeline during the week (with a hands-free headset). When I'm home on the weekends, it's turned off. It still upsets me when I'm in a truckstop eating breakfast and half the people in the place are texting/talking on their cell phones. I still have a flip phone, I don't text, and some day I will figure out how to take pictures with the dang thing.
    Puts me in mind of a story I once heard. Iddee and tecumseh were attending a beekeeping symposium in Chicago. As they were walking from their hotel to the auditorium where the symposium was being held, Iddee steps into a phone booth. 3 minutes later he steps out and tells tec "This city is wonderful, they even have telephones in the outhouses."

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gunsmith-

"Iddee and tecumseh were attending a beekeeping symposium in Chicago. As they were walking from their hotel to the auditorium where the symposium was being held, Iddee steps into a phone booth. 3 minutes later he steps out and tells tec "This city is wonderful, they even have telephones in the outhouses."
    :shock:
    :lol::rotfl:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's not as bad as Gunny complaining to the desk clerk that someone had pooped in the indoor spring.....:lol:

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

:rolling::goodpost::roll: