Wind and bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Had straight line winds rip the heavy hinges off my gate, throw a big piece of flagstone into the pond, and wasn't good for my hives. [​IMG]

2. Gypsi

I am now an advocate for strapping hive boxes together. Gate will have to wait. Bees are better, I'm sure I lost brood but I suspect hives are ok. [​IMG]

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

i have my hives in front of a solid fence for that reason, in my yard i dont get the heavy winds, when i bring the bees upstate down the road i will have to protect from wind and bears..

4. Gypsi

I had 80 mph straightline winds, my privacy fence held and the tree didn't come down, but the gate blew open and at least 60 mph was left to blow the hives over. It picked up a piece of flagstone and dropped it in the pond.

that's ok, I went by my friends where my favorite gluey bees were living, daughter of the one whose queen got too old. Yesterday. And they are all dead. I think humidity, low bee numbers for some reason and cold, they were in cluster when they died. going to have a look at the hive later today. At least the ones the wind got are alive.

And yes I did treat them for mites last winter.

5. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

i dont think the wacky weather through the winter helped..warm cold warm cold etc..i think the constant change in temp caused alot more condensation in the hives than if it just stayed cold...

6. Gypsi

The young bees an inch deep on the bottom board, and more with their heads in cells. When I had last checked they had 4 frames of honey plus fondant but we had a warm winter, then sudden cold in late February. I had put a feed jar on in mid feb to be sure the queen was laying, removed it before the hard freeze but I didn't take a bee suit or fondant with me. Fondant over the cluster might have saved them, as all the young bees hatched during the deepest cold. I think they had a frame of honey but they were on the wrong side of it, robbers got it after they died.

and wild hot bees that fell in a puddle, one of them stalked and stung me yesterday evening, but they are alive. And I merged them with a hive with a failing queen when i set them back up. I am requeening the little monsters