winter beekeeping prep

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

So what do you do in your area to prepare your bees for winter? I'm in Texas, so I fed til the temp swings threatened to dump syrup on the bees. 1:1 seems to stimulate the queen laying so I went 2:1 instead. Then I made plain sugar fondant, with no pollen sub or additives except cream of tartar, and put that under an extra box and over an inside cover in each hive. Again, pollen sub stimulates laying and I want my queens to old off til Dec 21st.

It is nice today, perfect day for robbing, so I may open feed a jar of 2:1 inside a bucket to the front of the hives to distract them from grocery shopping each other.

My hives all have screened bottom boards and except the largest, a 2 bee width half height front door.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

My winter prep starts in August when I treat my bees to have healthy winter bees. This year I put sugar blocks on several of my lighter production hives. All my nucs have sugar or fondant on them. I'm experimenting on which works best. Sugar blocks are about 1/2 the price so if they work next year I'll just use them.

I use cider vinegar to invert my sugar for the blocks. I also add a pinch of electrolite/vitamin mix to the sugar and a splash of HBH. I use a dehydrator to dry them and they come out in a nice block that is easy to put on the hives. Much less messy than fondant.

Far too cold here for the bees to fly this week.

3. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

We really don't have a winter here. I add supers for the Eucalyptus bloom that's going on now and will end in February. We have something blooming all year round.

Don't be jealous Gypsi! :Dancing:

4. Gypsi

I like a little winter CharlieB! Gives me a chance to catch up on the bookkeeping, write books and articles, breed tropical fish and sit around petting dogs. (the dogs really like this) Those bees keep me too busy if it's warm all the time.

5. Ian

Ian New Member

Up here I bring them all indoors.

6. Gypsi

well I see Manitoba, thinking it might get a wee bit chillier up there. An underground basement or a shed? If you have time I am curious. What kind of temp indoors where you put them?

7. camero7

camero7 Member

nice photo Ian

8. Ian

Ian New Member

cant tell if that was tongue in cheek or not LOL

9. camero7

camero7 Member

No, it was serious.