winter hive check

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Jan 11, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

It got to 63 degrees today so I asked dad to pop the top on the hives to see how they are doing and what part of the candy board was left. Of the three that are in 10 frame double deep #1 hive has consumed a 1/3 of the candy board, hive #2 consumed 2/3 of the candy board, hive #3 which had the most honey has not even put a dent in the candy board. The 5 frame nuc have wiped out their candy board dad told me that the 2" space where the board is was completely full of bees and there where plenty more on the frames. So I'm thinking that I need to make candy boards for hive #2 and the nuc. With that many bees in the five frame should I be looking at doing a split when spring actually shows up? Do I look at buying a queen or letting them raise their own? Thoughts are split all the hives if they make it thru the winter.

2. 2Tall

2Tall New Member

My bees have also been eating candyboards up ,feel the dyr summer was very hard on them.If the nuc makes it will explode when the flows start come spring ,be ready to move to larger box .My overwintered nucs do very well the following spring better than large hives at first flow.

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok I'm so jealous of my dad, didn't realize how much I missed the girls till he sent me the pictures from his inspection of the hives yesterday, is there a beekeepers anonymous?:grin:
    DSC01067.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01069.JPG DSC01070.JPG DSC01071.jpg

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Ok could not find how to start a new post, temp: 74 went into hive and found about half of the honey left for them gone, sure am glad I left 2 mediums full of honey, still a lot of bees in hive, here are some pictures I hope. 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg The picture is the wagon I got from Harbor Freight when they had it on sale for 60 dollars to help me cary the mediums I take off to take honey. I believe my bees are in good shape, didn't put any sugar in at this time will later on next month.

kebee

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Could not believe I got the pictures loaded, dang have no excuse now. Forgot to add they were glued good had heck of times getting them apart, as you see I taped the box joints up with tape. Now to get the other hives full of bees this spring.

kebee

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

ApisBees, I have started a couple of threads but out of anxiety to get this post in and high on the bees I just could not grab it, know what I mean, besides I'm older than brooksbefarm.:lol:

kebee

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Sorry Kebee. I guess at 53 I'm one of the young members on the forum. Although starting my first hives at age 22 has provided a lot of experience and being in an area with lots of old time experienced beekeepers as mentors has been a blessing.

10. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

ApisBees:

Age wise you are a pup. For a beekeeper, you have extensive knowledge and experience. I enjoy your posts because you always approach beekeeping from a "hands on" point of view. You are one of our very best contributors. Speaking just for me, we are blessed to have you among us.

Over my many years in the oil field, I worked many times with Precision Drilling, a Canadian Drilling company. They always had good crews. My experience with Canadian rough necks (a slang name for the workers on drilling rigs) has always been good. I especially liked a couple of crusty old guys from British Columbia.

Again, thanks for being here and helping us along.

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Lazy shooter
    Were all called crusty old guys up here. we refer to guys younger than us by that also. Thanks for the kind words. Have always the ability to know what wasn't working and alter the approach to achieve better results. In other words a fast learner. Don't need to make the same mistake twice and with having bees for so many years I have had many years to correct my ways and figure better approaches.

12. Fuzzybeekeeper

Fuzzybeekeeper New Member

Kebee,

How does taping up the box joints help with them being glued together? The bees add propolis from the inside.

Fuzzybeekeeper

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

Fuzzybeekeeper, when I broke the seal of propolis yesterday they will not have time to seal back up good before the cold weather come in here Tuseday, that is the main reason I puy the tape on to try and keep the cold wind out.

kebee

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

When you break the propolis seal when it is cold the bees can not repair gaps until it warms up and the bees break cluster So Kebee is restoring the seal that was broken when the inspection was done. There is a beekeeper that tapes all hive joints, this is his winter wrap program, tar paper warms the colonies to much on cold sunny days and two many bees try to fly.