Winter kill rates

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Jan 14, 2010.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

interesting tidbit cow pollinator and yes I see your dilema.

I think a little birdy told me they had a very unusual summer in North Dakota. I will check with my North Dakota queen cell rearing associate in SE Texas to see how his stuff is doing (he has winter bees in both Texas and California).

2. BjornBee

BjornBee Active Member

Spent the day at the farm with the kids. Checked the 23 nucs there. 21 alive. I almost never try to overwinter much at this location since it is a VERY windy spot. But these were the last ones that just did not get moved. :thumbsup:

I'm sleeping well tonight....

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All 3 hives alive and well. I did put 4 lbs. of sugar on one, just for insurance.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I don't see how you can have only 3 hives. But I guess it suits you.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Better winter success if you sell them all in the fall and get new "free bees" in the spring and summer. :thumbsup:

I do mostly swarm catch, removals and trap outs. A few splits. There's not enough forage here to make excess honey.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee Active Member

Went out to another yard today. 31 nucs alive....2 dead.

Total so far for nucs... 120 alive and 23 dead.

So far, so good.....

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

checked hives today

checked my 50 over wintered hives today I have so far zero loses but had 2 hives that had disentery or nozema issues some where a little light going to do the sugar on the top thing until I can get feed on in late february I know that losses usually occur when broad rearing kicks in in february but so far most are heavy and looking good hope everyone is having this same luck this winter
    :beg:

9. BjornBee

BjornBee Active Member

I'm not hearing too many good stories here on the east coast. Starved out hives seem common. I have not checked my full size hives yet.

riverrat, way to go! I hope mine look that good.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it looks like 'winter losses' on the overwintered nucs (approximately 50) is about 5%.

so far onely one full hive loss... the signs of massive robbing suggest the hive had issues.

11. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

with all the rain then extream cold we took a hit too mostly starved from not flying. well that's beekeeping we just split like crazy in mid feb weather permitting.soon as red maples open we will start. be sure eat when not flying this is been bad to start off.

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Our red maples had already started blooming right before the ice and snow and a couple of nights down in the teens. Will the trees bloom out or is it just a total bust for that bloom this year?

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think the red maples had started to bloom here just ahead of this cold snap. also a few wild mustard and what I think maybe the first spring beauties had begun to bloom.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will bloom right back out, just in time for the 11 degrees forecast for Sunday and Monday. Then they will bloom out again after that.

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

You mean it's gonna do this nastiness to us again?? :shock: :shock: Say it ain't so :beg: :beg: I'll be stuck inside despising winter again, and worrying about the bees being outside in the cold waiting for something pretty to go out and visit.... :cry:

I gotta go check the weather!

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Saturday
    Feb 6 Rain / Snow

Rain / Snow

Hi:35°Lo:26°

Rain / Snow. High 35F and low 26F. Winds N at 14 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
    40%
    Sunday
    Feb 7 Mostly Cloudy

Mostly Cloudy

Hi:35°Lo:11°

Mostly Cloudy. High 35F and low 11F. Winds N at 13 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
    0%
    Monday
    Feb 8 Fog

Fog

Hi:26°Lo:11°

Fog. High 26F and low 11F. Winds NW at 11 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA
    0%

17. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Oh...that. is . just. awful! Troy and the boys will be traveling up in the hills those days too....that means me and Baby Beek will have to do all the work all by ourselves out in the cold yucky weather! :cry: I can't wait for spring!

18. BjornBee

BjornBee Active Member

Yesterday, while walking down to get the mail, I saw a single dandelion in full bloom. The temp was only 34. That's pushing the edge of extreme... :thumbsup:

19. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Checked my girls today without getting into the hive, and they're still doing ok as far as I can tell (I can at least hear them in there). So woohoo, I'm 1 for 1 this year.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not wishing to ruin anyone good mood... but limit the celebration for the current moment. we ain't out of the wood here yet. past experience suggest that a lot of hives starve in the southern us of a in late february and early march. these wet springs can be especially troublesome since it limits bloom, limits flying time and limits a beekeepers ability to attend to hives in outyards.