Winter Loss

Discussion in 'Bees' started by ski, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ski

ski New Member

Noticed some wax cappings on a hive landing board the other day and got to take a look today while checking out other hives.

The bees on the bottom layer of the cluster had their heads in the cells and there were a few capped cells of drone brood. It was kind of erie as they looked like they were still alive just a bit chilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:( :( :(

I still have to go through mine in a month or so. Not sure what to expect this year. Seem heavy enough and I heard bees in most but some were quieter than I would have liked. Could be really small clusters and a bad cold snap may be then end of them.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Maybe the queen died and there was a laying worker trying to lay brood but only managed a few drone cells? Did you find the dead queen? Looks like the cluster was right next to some open nectar/syrup cells.

4. ski

ski New Member

Perry - I wish you luck with yours. This is my first dead out this year, now down to 9 hives with some cold weather still to come.

Omie - I figured the queen was lost. No I did not find her but these bees were sandwiched between the two frames and a lot of bees fell when I pulled the first frame.
    Maybe a laying worker or this was just what was left of the brood. Some cells looked colored but I did not notice any open nectar cells close by.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks Ski. I thought it looked like open nectar cells just to the right of the cluster in your 2nd photo, but maybe I'm wrong.