Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed some wax cappings on a hive landing board the other day and got to take a look today while checking out other hives.

The bees on the bottom layer of the cluster had their heads in the cells and there were a few capped cells of drone brood. It was kind of erie as they looked like they were still alive just a bit chilled.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
:( :( :(

I still have to go through mine in a month or so. Not sure what to expect this year. Seem heavy enough and I heard bees in most but some were quieter than I would have liked. Could be really small clusters and a bad cold snap may be then end of them.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
ski said:
The bees on the bottom layer of the cluster had their heads in the cells and there were a few capped cells of drone brood. It was kind of erie as they looked like they were still alive just a bit chilled.
Maybe the queen died and there was a laying worker trying to lay brood but only managed a few drone cells? Did you find the dead queen? Looks like the cluster was right next to some open nectar/syrup cells.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perry - I wish you luck with yours. This is my first dead out this year, now down to 9 hives with some cold weather still to come.

Omie - I figured the queen was lost. No I did not find her but these bees were sandwiched between the two frames and a lot of bees fell when I pulled the first frame.
Maybe a laying worker or this was just what was left of the brood. Some cells looked colored but I did not notice any open nectar cells close by.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Thanks Ski. I thought it looked like open nectar cells just to the right of the cluster in your 2nd photo, but maybe I'm wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts