Winter losses in New England.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by camero7, Mar 11, 2017.

1. camero7

camero7 Member

Lots of us are experiencing winter losses of abnormal size. I'm losing around 40% but it's spotty. One yard completely dead [20+] hives, another completely alive another at 50% loss.

Here's a post from the finger lakes forum:

"Hi everyone,It is hard to lose bees, even when you think you?did everything right like treating and feeding.

If it makes you feel any better, a majority of commercial and sideline beekeepers in NY and MA?lost huge amounts of colonies. One who runs 5000 had 1500 last count. OUCH!I run 900 and am down to about 250. Lost 50% by thanksgiving. Its?very humbling.?I make my living from honey production and take very good care of the bees, treating and feeding etc. I guess I need to step it up a notch. Will buy a combo of nucs and packages and split whats left to get all the equipment full again. Not a business or hobby ?for the faint of pocketbook. Need to set aside $ in the good years to make up for the bad years that come every so often. Just like clockwork.

What is strange is that I have some locations that are fine, with normal losses and good looking bees and some locations that have 1 left out of 44. Cannot blame big ag or any other factor at this time.

As Shelley noted, maybe ?the drought stressed the bees. ?Maybe the pollen was low nutrient that was gathered or the quantity was insufficient. Maybe out mite treatments didn't work as well as they should have. Mites spread the viruses to our bees that were not quite as healthy and fat as they could have been, Maybe there is a new virus out there that takes them down faster-like DWV-B. Cornell? and David Wicks Co. are?not able to test for this one yet.

. Feeding pollen sub in summer and fall seemed to help. 1 commercial?beek only had 7% loss after he fed sub in the summer to boost his bees.

Best thing to do is keep the mice out and restock asap. The large amount of honey left on most everybodys hives will give a great start to packages or nucs of swarms.

Hope youall have a great honey season!Nick

-------------- next part --------------

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

well im a bit of the conspiracy theorist on many topics, I have seen and heard from people in the situations that have told me different then what main stream media or the government wants to tell you..I personally believe monsanto and other large scale chemical companies are poisoning the bees, whether on purpose or the end result of them meddling with gmos and or chemicals on plants that the bees land on and are now poisoned from these. I dont think the government agencies , epa, aguculture or any others will actually admit or tell the truth on what is killing off the bees even if they know..I find it interesting that monsanto is making so much $$ on GMO, drought resistant seed and developing crops that are self pollinating..more questions than answers and it seems to just keep getting worse...just some things to make you think alittle and pay more attention to whats going on around us..

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Not me... I have hives that are far from any gmo, agriculture areas and they died this winter. But I also have a yard that is up against a commercial vegetable farm that uses lots of fungicides and pesticides. That yard, at last look, was 100% alive. If what you say is true all the almond pollinators, apple pollinators and blueberry pollinators would be out of business after a year or so. Almost all are doing pretty well. Bees come out of almonds very strong and need to be split almost immediately. JMO

4. roadkillbobb

like I said, it is my opinion just based on all the other lies the government tells( my opinion again) us about most everything else, and not much of a good explanation of why the problems with honey bees dying off.. I have seen a program that tried to explain the bee die off and they were ever so careful not to mention gmo crops or monsanto company in the mix, it was very interesting, ill try and find a video of the program to post, it was on tv about a year ago..

5. roadkillbobb