Winter Pollen Gathering

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Baxter, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Trinity, NC Jan 10 2013 temperature 61 Fahrenheit...My bees are gathering more pollen now, then I have ever noticed before, year round.

There are several shades of color, seems to be a majority of lime green collections. I think forsythia may be blooming now. Anyone know what pollens are available now in my area?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maple is blooming. Goldenrod gives pollen all winter.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

is the Maple blooming early in North Carolina?

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I think pollen here could be willow, dandelion and silver maple, soon red maples, as well...That is really easy to see the bright red. Mine are carrying pale yellow, as well.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

I know I have dandelions blooming here and I guess that is the pollen they are bring in. It is 72 here with cloudy skys and they are really bring it in. I had the reducer on and when I took it off they just pilled out of the hive like they were trying to excape the prison.

kebee

6. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I looked around my pond I didn't see any evidence of maples blooming, that was my first inclination.. I got a response that maples were blooming, they may well be, I gaven't seen any. I haven't seen any goldenrod close by either...Wherever they are getting it, it's in great abundance.. I've never seen so much pollen come in, that may be because, they've put an emphasis on pollen needs though.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The weather here is and has been extremely warm. The maples are blooming near the tops on trees standing alone, not in the woods.

8. C Adams

C Adams New Member

I see a light green pollen that I think is manitoba maple that comes in before and overlaps with the light ashy gray, Red Maple pollen flow. Do you have Manitoba maple there? Sometimes it is called box elder.

9. Baxter

Baxter New Member

We do have box elder here. I'm going to take a look around this weekend. I suspect that Iddee is right I was looking for blooms on lower limbs.

10. oblib

oblib New Member

Second warm day here. Bees are going out but I not seeing any pollen coming in.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Forecast is 72 F. today, 74 tomorrow. That should bring out some blooms in time for the freeze coming the first of the week.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

C.Adams- where in NY are you located? You must be further south than me. In my area (near Albany) the first thing to bloom is usually skunk cabbage.
    Nothing blooming here yet. Bees are mostly still hunkered down, the few that were flying the other day when it was sunny and 45F, were not bringing in any pollen. Just potty/water flights.

13. C Adams

C Adams New Member

I'm sorry, Omie, my post was poorly written.

I didn't mean that I see Manitoba maple pollen in coming in right *now* (it's still weeks til willow pollen!).
    I meant that right before and overlapping red maple is when I see it.

There's not much poking out of the snow right now.

I'm in Elmira, right on the PA border at 42[SUP]o[/SUP]lattitude.
    It was 45[SUP]o[/SUP] here on Friday, as well.

What part of the valley are you in?

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh, ok, so you are substantially south of me, warmer. I'm in northern Columbia county. Nothing due to bloom for many weeks yet here either. We usually see crocus bloom around April 1st. Hmm but that was before we screwed up the planet, destroyed the ozone layer, fracked our toxic waste where the sun don't shine and fouled the oceans. All bets are off, crocuses might bloom in February now for all I know.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Mine are bringing in a bright yellow pollen. Not much golden rod left as I ran the bush hog over the farm several weeks ago.

16. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Pale white pollen is the order of the day, was close to 70 degrees and overcast... pollen collection today, significantly lighter then jan 9 and 10

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I went out to check the bees today. It was sprinkling a little rain so the bees weren't out even though it's 66F. I did see a dandelion blooming in the yard, though. Normally, that would be a positive sign, but I think it's going to be cold before it gets springtime warm.

18. C Adams

C Adams New Member

Evidently there's more poking out of the snow than I thought.
    I just got in from the beeyard, where the thermometer said the temp was just barely into the 50's - maybe 52 or 53.

There was a LOT of flying in the Hybrid 410 nucs, and they were crowding the entrance bringing in a considerable amount of grey pollen.
    If I didn't know better I'd think it was red maple, but it is a little lighter and red maple is weeks away still, normally.

My Sunkist were flying too, but not too much...there were a couple or three seconds between bees going in and out and no crowding at all around the entrance, I only saw a few of them returning with pollen.