Winter Scenes On A Cold and Lazy Thursday

Discussion in 'Bees' started by blueblood, Dec 27, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Took a hike to the back field to check on the hives since we had an alleged blizzard. I was surprised at how little snow accumulated on them since my wife and I spent four hours today clearing our lanes of 8-10" of snow so we could get out. Looks like they have pushed a few dead out of the hive. Does anybody know if the bees generate enough heat to cause snow to melt from the top and/or sides?

DSCF6183.jpg DSCF6184.jpg DSCF6185.jpg DSCF6186.jpg DSCF6187.jpg DSCF6189.jpg DSCF6191.jpg DSCF6192.jpg DSCF6193.jpg DSCF6195.jpg

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I don't know. But if they maintainn ~ 90 F in the cluster, and wood isn't that good of an insulator, then perhaps it's warm enough to melt the snow?

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

the wind that accompanied the snow was blowing from the direction behind the hives to the front. the winds were steady and at a temperature 3 to 5 deg. above freezing and the snow partially blow off and was melted by the wind at the same time. a rair bit of melting has occurred since the snow stopped falling you can tell buy picts 3&5 by how the snow is hanging off the entrance.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Dave, do you have other hives located else where? Just curious.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nope. Just in my back field. I have about 3 acres back there. I plan on increasing to a total of 7-10 Langs and 2 top bar this spring.

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Enjoyed the pictures Dave. IS that a bluebird box on the tree in the background?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hey Dave, couldn't you afford "color film"? :rolling::rotfl:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Wayne...yeap, I have a bluebird trail back there. It was my first year and had more other residents in them but I do have a couple of blue birds in the area.

Ef, I wish I had more color here right now...all we got presently is 8-10 inches of snow still...

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I guess we have a new year's wish for a brightly colored spring on our "wish list". :beg: