winter stores

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by d.magnitude, Sep 14, 2010.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Hi guys,
    I've got 3 hives started in the spring that are all in two deeps and have been that way all year (or at least since they grew into their 2nd brood chamber). The top box in 2 of them is completely filled with capped honey (the third hive is still "working on it", but all the foundation is drawn). The bottom boxes of those 2 have a little honey, capped and uncapped, some capped brood, and some empty cells. Should I put an additional medium super with foundation on these two to give some more room, or is it ridiculous to think they would draw it out at this point? Word has it, there is a minor fall flow around here, but most keeps here don't harvest a fall surplus, they just let the bees have it. If it works the bonus would be some more drawn comb at the start of next year. I could feed if I had too, but I hate to make up more syrup when these hives seem "honey rich" at the moment.

My other thought is that I should just take a frame or two of honey from those 2 and swap them for an uncapped frame from the hive that is still "working on it".

Opinions?
    Thanks, Dan

ps- my hives have other issues, but I'll post that in a new topic so this doesn't get too rambling.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

they will start pulling honey down from the top deep and into the bottom deep. I wouldnt feed if they are heavy and appear to have sufficient stores to make it thru winter. I wouldnt put a medium on with undraw comb this time in the year. It is extremely hard to get bees to draw comb this time of the year. The honey flow has all but started to drop off they are making preperations to get through the winter. at this point

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip..
    or is it ridiculous to think they would draw it out at this point?

tecumseh:
    at your location l would say yes. here if you want to feed some maybe.

4. rast

rast New Member

Even the ones of mine on feed down here in Cen. Fl. have quit.

5. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Thanks guys. I won't waste my sugar, and the bees' time and energy trying to get them to draw any more. If some of my hives look cramped still, I'll move some capped frames of honey where they can be better utilized.
    (and I don't mean my kitchen)