Winter winds

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Oct 18, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

My hives face East. North and West is covered by small patch of trees. Winter we get mostly winds out of the NE and can be strong at times. Was wondering what keeps do to prevent a wind disaster.

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Around Halloween, people often decorate yards or porches with pumpkins, corn stalks, and bales of straw. Offer to remove those bales of straw and make a windbreak for your hives.

One of my bee buddies has a wife who doesn't like "unsightly" bales of straw around his hives, so he bought some of those pre-built, 8-foot fence panels from the big-box hardware and made a very nice permanant windbreak.

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I single strap round the hive and (moveable) stand. If the hive gets tipped (wind or vandals), it stays together and it is more likely the bees will survive.

I try to keep the hive height down by not storing unused equipment above the inner cover.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I like the bale of straw/hay idea. I have seen folks flanking their hives with studded T fence posts. 3 of my 4 hives are on cinder blocks and I feel good about that, low profile. I have one hive on a 4x4 post frame. It wobbled too much for me. I will be moving it to a set of blocks soon.

6. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I went to Walmart after Halloween and purchased 18 bales of straw for one dollar each. They has used them for decorations and they were more than glad to get rid of them.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what wayne said, landscape brick or concrete block or two, on top the cover.

i have also strapped hives down to pallets. i need a better wind break for winter winds, i have used bales and snow fence, but need to plant some pines.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Were you wondering what to do about wind chill or worried about the wind blowing your hive lids off? You received excellent answers in either case. I would caution about putting bales of hay up next to your hives as that may harbor mice. Spacing the bales away from the hives would work and have a snow fence effect. That would be even better. Snow makes a great insulator.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've used hay bales. They work great, BUT, are an absolute nightmare to get rid of in the spring! Rotten and falling apart.
    I place them in front or behind, depending on the prevailing wind. Like srvantexasflood says, leave a gap between the straw and your hives (about a foot).
    Sometimes more than mice become interested. :grin:

Attached Files:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest that if you live in a flat terrain where you have significant cold weather and blowing winds that some kind of shelter from the wind is a good idea. In some places (anywhere in the Plains area for example) without something to shield the hive from the constant drafts generated you are going to experience higher than expected winner loss. Bales of hay, shelter belts and even snow fences are better than nothing at all. A bit of plywood or old metal roofing set up on it edge behind the hive and held upright by metal fence post will get the job done.

I have been told that the kind of snow you see in your area is also a consideration. Wet snow that clings doesn't seem to be much of a problem but powder type snows that blow and seeps into every nook and cranny can be a concern.

11. srvfantexasflood

Like BoilerJim, I saw a local grocery store with a stack of bales with a FREE sign on them. They had been used for displaying mums. Of course, my trunk was full of beekeeping equipment. I'm sure a local gardener is enjoying those bales of Hay.

12. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, I typed it wrong when I said the winds blow from the NE. They actually come from the N- NW. So, to the North are houses and a 6' fence. The West side is a small strip of trees and brush. Was thicker till the electric company came through and cleared around their lines. I did add a green snow fence to the South. Did this mostly to help hide my hives from the road. Not really sure what time I should wrap my hives with roofing felt. Anyone? Will be looking for bales to help block winds going into the entrance this week.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'll probably start wrapping up here first chance I get. Warm today and tomorrow and then...................?

14. srvfantexasflood

Does everyone around you wrap their hives in roofing felt? Down here we don't because it does more harm than good. I'm not sure what zone you are in. Maybe 4?

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy8, like perry, i will be wrapping this week sometime or by the weekend. i don't use roofing felt, i use a different material. i usually wrap every year just before thanksgiving, or about the time gun hunting starts here. it has been too warm to wrap until now, the weather took a nose dive and will now be WINTER.