Winter

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I am trying to build a hive now, when shuold i get my bees when i'm done, late fall? If i do get them and i have a new hive how will they live over winter without honey yet? Also how do you winter-proof a top bar hive, and do you close up the fencing on the bottom? thanks

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Save yourself the money and wait till spring to get the bees they will not make it thru the winter without stores. and it would be hard to find bees for sale this time of year unless it was an established hive

3. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Ok, thanks.. but what about next year, after the hive is establshed, what will i need to winter proof?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A season's experience and and reading. :lol:

We'll be here then for that step.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Woodsman,
    You will now have a whole winter in which to read and learn about how to keep bees. That's what I did last winter while waiting for Spring. You should do some reading both online and in books, and watch a whole bunch of youtube videos too about beekeeping. Read about the differences between using top bar hives and Langstroth hives. Read about how to prepare hives for winter. And keep in mind that all beekeepers have their own preferred methods. Do some research to decide where you will get your bees from, and how to manage them once you get them. Find out where there are beekeepers in your area, and where the nearest bee club is. That's a good start and will keep you busy. :)

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Spring time is the time to get your bees, being in NJ I'm not sure when things start to bloom up there. When you get a package of bees they will need to be fed to get them going.

7. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

What do you feed them can i hang stuff?

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Woodsman, do a little reading about basic beekeeping- you can read a book like "Beekeeping for Dummies" or "Backyard Beekeeping", etc. or you can find a whole lot of great info for free online -just do a search for "feeding hives" and you will see all the various feeding methods. Youtube video search for 'feeding honeybees' or 'feeding hives syrup' will also get you info on many different methods.

You will have plenty of questions once you actually have your bees, and everyone's situation is different.
    But doing a little reading about basics first will save us a whole lot of typing! ;)

Can you just hang stuff?- yes you can but you will be feeding all the honeybees and yellowjackets for miles around. Might literally fill the air with clouds of hungry frantic 'guests'.