Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So we live in Upstate New York. We have been keeping bees for 5 years. Last year one hive wintered over, was very honey productive last summer and fall and so far it looks like they may winter over again.
We had an unusually warm day, ( 65 degrees) last week so we opened to look in and offer more winter feed. They were extremely busy and active inside.
My question is, if they make it to spring and go into summer can we and should we change out some of the frames in their box. They are going into their 3rd year. We want to give them fresh frames.
Any advice will be appreciated. Not many beekeepers near us.
Thank you.
Patricia

·
Registered
90 Posts
Forgive me but I will take a shot at this as I am only in my first year of beekeeping. I am thinking that there is no need to give them new frames as I am of the thought that they will recondition the old frames for their needs. The old frames have the good smells on them that they like.However,if the old frames are falling apart then that is something to consider too.

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,
So we live in Upstate New York. We have been keeping bees for 5 years. Last year one hive wintered over, was very honey productive last summer and fall and so far it looks like they may winter over again.
We had an unusually warm day, ( 65 degrees) last week so we opened to look in and offer more winter feed. They were extremely busy and active inside.
My question is, if they make it to spring and go into summer can we and should we change out some of the frames in their box. They are going into their 3rd year. We want to give them fresh frames.
Any advice will be appreciated. Not many beekeepers near us.
Thank you.
Patricia
Frames should be changed, so I’m told, every 5 years or so; otherwise the frames are good unless you have PMS, Nosema cerana, AFB (whole hive &bees destroyed) etc. frames can harbor diseases etc.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
I haven't bought frames since 2012 and I've got a freezer full of comb, but I also don't have disease in my hives and the last time I had any disease was EFB - which is treated with antibiotics and in my case I removed all honey to jars, comb to candles and frames were burned in 2013. I don't think I am going to change out all my frames when my hives are healthy. I do regular inspections a couple of times a year, and treat for mites with oxalic acid, screened bottom boards and I keep an eye on things. My bees do not go to the almonds. or anywhere outside their flight range.
I think that replacing equipment in healthy hives should be done when the equipment needs replaced. Now old black brood comb I do rotate out but I do not tag each frame with a date.

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't bought frames since 2012 and I've got a freezer full of comb, but I also don't have disease in my hives and the last time I had any disease was EFB - which is treated with antibiotics and in my case I removed all honey to jars, comb to candles and frames were burned in 2013. I don't think I am going to change out all my frames when my hives are healthy. I do regular inspections a couple of times a year, and treat for mites with oxalic acid, screened bottom boards and I keep an eye on things. My bees do not go to the almonds. or anywhere outside their flight range.
I think that replacing equipment in healthy hives should be done when the equipment needs replaced. Now old black brood comb I do rotate out but I do not tag each frame with a date.
A friend gave me a few frames of his old black comb and they went immediately into my swarm traps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have spent the last two days scraping frames, my arthritis is flaring up, my knees are screaming, my back is mad.
Maybe I should buy new frames....
I'm almost done.
Next re-waxing foundation.

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lol, I spoke to soon. Today it is snowing and cold. Nice yesterday when I set the traps out. Welcome to Ohio.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yesterday was an ugly day with rain off and on and some snow in the night. I did get out and hung two more swarm traps so that makes 5 up and hanging so far and I have prepared two more for putting somewhere else. The other day when we had a warm spell,the bees were bringing different color pollen in like gang busters. They are obviously preparing to make a lot of bee bread to feed the brood so my hive will be growing fast. I still have the insulation wrap on so a split is out of the question right now.I've done some reading about splits so hope I can be successful with the first time I try to do one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get them swarm traps out folks! I checked one of my traps yesterday and it’s full of bees. Had nothing in the box a week ago.
I got all mine out which total 7 swarms traps up and running. I am in NE Ohio. Its warming up here , finally, but still calling for cold weather this coming weekend. After that,it looks favorable to take off the winter wraps. I only have one hive but it is busting at the seams in it's two 10F deep configuration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got all mine out which total 7 swarms traps up and running. I am in NE Ohio. Its warming up here , finally, but still calling for cold weather this coming weekend. After that,it looks favorable to take off the winter wraps. I only have one hive but it is busting at the seams in it's two 10F deep configuration.
If you have two 10 deeps busting at the seams, now would be a good time to do a split if you have the extra equipment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We had a couple nice days and the bees were working my stacks.
Snowed 2 days ago and we're looking at a low of 24 and rain for the next week.

I expect when the sun pops back out in a week or so the swarm hotline is going to blow up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you have two 10 deeps busting at the seams, now would be a good time to do a split if you have the extra equipment.
It's supposed to go down below freezing a few nights next week and then get more stable with higher temps. This week is out for taking time with the bees .My mother passed away yesterday. She was 101 years old. Never done a split yet so it will be my first. I hope to do that next week when a friend can give me a hand. Unfortunately, I hurt my back again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts