Wire no workee

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by LtlWilli, Oct 21, 2009.

1. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

When all the rage was putting wire at the bottom of the hives, I jumped in with both feet...This year , I found that I need smaller holes. The given size is great for Europeans, but sadly inadequate for ferals----They come and go right thru it.
    I managed to get 8 ferals this year, and they produced well. However, when I went to take a few hives to some new fields,I got a buzz-bomber Blazer real fast. :eek: Methinks I need a smaller guage. :mrgreen:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know what you have now, but IF you are going to have screen bottom boards, you need 1/8 inch. hardware cloth.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are talking about the entrance I just use screen wire and a couple of staples.

For long moves I made some screened top covers for ventilation. Worked good when hauling hives in the trunk and back seat of the car (this was when I was 16 to 20 years old before I had a trruck).

G3

4. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I have #8 wire. I thought it would do. I had no idea about them smallish gals. :oops:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There ain't no honeybee going through #8. You had an open space somewhere.

6. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

You are no doubt right...I need to pray awhile, then go out and tilt one over a ways, :oops: :oops: :oops:
    ....An aside---I think I'll suit up first. :thumbsup:

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

8. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

.....The smallest gap will do....They are somewhat like mice and small holes....All is ok now without a sting.
    Thanks....Sorry to leave the thread hanging. :beg:
    LtlWilli