Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When all the rage was putting wire at the bottom of the hives, I jumped in with both feet...This year , I found that I need smaller holes. The given size is great for Europeans, but sadly inadequate for ferals----They come and go right thru it.
I managed to get 8 ferals this year, and they produced well. However, when I went to take a few hives to some new fields,I got a buzz-bomber Blazer real fast. :eek: Methinks I need a smaller guage. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I don't know what you have now, but IF you are going to have screen bottom boards, you need 1/8 inch. hardware cloth.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
If you are talking about the entrance I just use screen wire and a couple of staples.

For long moves I made some screened top covers for ventilation. Worked good when hauling hives in the trunk and back seat of the car (this was when I was 16 to 20 years old before I had a trruck).

G3

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are no doubt right...I need to pray awhile, then go out and tilt one over a ways, :oops: :oops: :oops:
....An aside---I think I'll suit up first. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.....The smallest gap will do....They are somewhat like mice and small holes....All is ok now without a sting.
Thanks....Sorry to leave the thread hanging. :beg:
LtlWilli

1 - 8 of 8 Posts