Wish me luck

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Later today will be pulling honey off the hives... I'm hoping for at least 6 full illinois supers of honey from this extraction (there will be another extraction because the girls are still bringing in good nectar, but I need to make some space for them to put the nectar in and I can't build it as fast as they need it. It looked like they had a heckuva lot of capped honey when I peeked a couple of days ago though.

If I get enough honey to sell that I can afford it, I'm going to buy a nine frame maxant electric extractor (really just 6 frames since I run all mediums, but whatever)... and a new pair of gloves... well, I'll buy the new pair of gloves regardless of whether I buy the extractor or not... happy birthday to me (but really I need a new pair of gloves, I wore a hole in my current pair that is just being covered by tape right now).

I was origianlly planning to do a cutout, but I never heard back from the guy and I know he was wanting it done faster than I could get to it, so I'm assuming he got someone else to do it already.

2. Tia

Tia New Member

Good luck with the harvest; it seems to be a really good year! Hope you get enough to get that extractor. As for gloves, I've gone over to the nitrile ones. I know, hot. But you can really feel what you're doing and they're pretty inexpensive.

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Wishing you luck. How'd it go?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

bet them girls wasnt liking him stealing the super full of honey. Good thing the aint like the wife who seems to hold a grudge for a long time when I mess up but ole rat dont do that much anymore especially when she bought a boat oar to paddle me with :Dancing: :D

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

LOL rat, naw they didn't care much, I was able to rob 'em without getting stung once. Didn't get as much as I wanted before I ran out of compressed air to blow them off the frames with, plus I was losing daylight. I got 3 and a half supers of honey and recon I left about 2 and a half supers of honey behind. Based upon how much honey I have bottled so far though, it does not appear that I will be able to get that extractor yet though. Ah well, maybe next year. I'll do something else with it instead though.