With age comes ...............???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 23, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I went through some more hives yesterday, did the deed with a drone layer and will combine a nuc with it today at some point.
    At the end of the day I was searching for a few frames of honey to pull to pay for yard obligations, and decided that hive in my backyard was looking really busy and had 2 supers on it, so it was an easy candidate.
    Well, I cracked and lifted off the top super, it felt light so I just set it aside and went into the next super sitting on top of an excluder. Two frames in and what do I find? A full medium frame with the loveliest brood pattern on it you could imagine! :lol:
    OK..........
    So I go through both supers above the excluder, no queen. I set them both aside and start going through the deeps below the excluder. Eggs everywhere. On frame 17 (of course, they always are on the last few when you want to find them), there she was, below the excluder.
    Back to the top supers and a second look for a queen, no dice. Now I can perhaps understand that a queen may have found away through or around an excluder, but to then find the same way back through? A little hard to believe.
    I just closed things back up and will have another look in a week or two. :mrgreen:

To bring this all to the topic I started this post with, I have noticed that a lot of what I have encountered this year would have really thrown me in previous years. If something untoward had been thrust in front of me I would almost have a sense of panic, what to do. I would ponder, sometimes even have trouble falling asleep trying to figure out a solution. For whatever reason I felt that immediate action was necessary.
    This year I have come across my share of obstacles, arriving late to several hives having lost swarms, drone layers, poor acceptance of imported queens ( an annual ritual as of late) and sometimes just plain old bewilderment at some of the stuff I've run across.
    And you know what? I sleep like a baby now. :lol: Most times if I run across a situation that has me beat, I just close things up, let nature take its course, and I'll deal with it after she does. :mrgreen:
    She's usually always right! :wink:

2. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

See how much you have learned Perrybee???? You have learned the most important lesson in life....for both Man, AND bees!! :lol:

:rolling:

Just curious, I have been adding supers and leaving the excluder out until they start working it, but before it has progressed enough to support the queen to lay. Did you add the excluder immediately with the super? Sounds like you have a Royal High-dini instead of a Royal Highness! :lol:

3. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

I don't use excluders. I rarely get brood above the second deep. That being said a week or so back I combined a queen less hive that wouldn't start a cell with a two deep hive with the top box solid with honey. No newspaper I just sat the queen less on top.
    went in today going to start another nuc and started sorting out the frames. Lo and behold one frame was laid full. Brood in all stages from capped to eggs.
    My first thought was brood frames up thru the second deep so I checked it out. Nope, solid capped honey.
    went into the bottom box partway. Third frame in started getting brood in all stages, continued for three frames and I didn't need to see any more.
    Im surprised the queen crossed a full deep of honey to lay in the top box. There could have been eggs on other frames but my flashlight was getting dim and I have a hard time seeing eggs with the vail I had on.
    I never fail to be surprised!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now go back in the top deep and find the queen that just started laying up there, after you missed seeing the cell they made. :D

5. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Iddee
    That was my first thought and I certainly hope your right. Actually there hasn't been enough time.
    remember the other day when you said 30 days wasn't long enough. I'm hoping I combined too soon. I separated today so in 4 days I should have cells or eggs. Time will tell and so will I.