With winter solstice behind us.....

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Dec 25, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

So what plans are you making for spring?

The days are getting longer, global warming's cold icy grip will soon fade away :lol: , and before you know it, the phone will be ringing with a swarm call.

So what in particular are you looking forward too this coming season?

:drinks:

2. XLB

XLB New Member

garden work, bee work, school work, nothing too uncommon. ;)

baby beek does plan on keeping me busy with that hurt finger of hers tho! :eek:

3. rast

rast New Member

Immediate next is assemble a couple hundred frames.Then some woodwork and trim painting on my house.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think I'll do nothing for awhile, then rest. :drinks:

5. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

We're supposed to be in for a wet spring and alot of the commercial stuff around me is crashing fast. I was going to split hard again but I think this year I'm going to just tread water and hope for a good citrus crop. They were all out flying this morning so I know I at least have live bees. I sure hope whatever the big guys brought in isn't comunicable.

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I'm looking forward to lots of work!

First of all, finally getting into a hive again! It has already been too long.
    Cabin fever is settling in with two more months of winter left!
    Then the garden work, expanding and preparing to start a business.
    Last but not least, PICNICS!!! My favorite part of spring!
    (sigh) Oh, just to see green grass again! :beg:

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm looking forward to expanding the gardens and hopefully the bees. I am going to miss having a slightly less busy schedule though..... we have had the opportunity to slow down a bit more than usual this fall/winter and I'll admit it's been kinda nice. But once spring breaks we are full throttle all day every day and still don't get everything done that we started out to do.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ditto on the few hundred frames thing... and I've got another 20 or so boxes to build before spring.

9. rast

rast New Member

My boxes are already together, just need to paint. The most time consuming part of frames is wiring the foundation for me.

10. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Hey Iddee weren't you supposed to do that over winter... now is the time to get ready for spring :thumbsup:

Mick

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

You don't know iddee too well, do you.......... :lol:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, I got up and got dressed. That's enough energy spent for one day. Besides, it's just he first week of winter. Three more months of 100F. weather for Mick before he gives us a little of it back.

Time for my nap. Be back later.

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Didtto on the bunches of frames here too. I tend to wait till mid march to start though. I alsohave to cut and assemble 20or 30 more boxes and bottom boards.

right now is time to enjoy winter sports outdoors and kill youtes.

:mrgreen: Al

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Built, 12 deeps, 26 med. 12 sbb's and top covers, now to paint (i hate to paint). Then put 200 frames together and wire. Order seed for my 5 acre truck garden, go to board meetings for our farmers market, help get ready for bee club classes ( over 200 signed up). But my favorite is getting ready and chasing walleye up the Big Sac river :thumbsup: . Jack

15. rast

rast New Member

A whole morning of fishing and nothing to clean :( .

16. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That's why you take the six-pack....... :thumbsup:

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'll think about spring projects when I'm done shovelling the foot and a half of lake-effect snow out of my 350 ft long driveway. *sigh*

18. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

You get lake effect snow and you have to shovel the drive? Buy a snow blower for the lawn tractor or better yet get a big one for the farm tractor. The burvac on the Ford 5000 clears 3 feet of snow like it was only and inch. Just remember DO NOT BLOW INTO THE WIND.

:D Al

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, Hobie. You offered me use of your spare bedroom. I think it's time I returned the favor. It's sunny and 50 here today. Come on down and stay until the tundra melts.

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

We have a snowblower for the Gravely tractor, and use it for the flat areas. Unfortunately, the driveway is too steep in one spot. The first year we snow-blowed to the bottom, and could not make it back up the drive, despite weights and chains. Hubby had to snow blow a quarter-mile path up the dirt road, and back through the farm field road to get back up to the house.

Unfortunately, the thingy that lets you turn the chute where the snow comes out broke yesterday. Time for a few repairs.

Hmmm, iddee's spare room is sounding better all the time. Probably even get biscuits and honey for breakfast!