Wonder if they will like the Candy

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Was making bee candy for the first time. We have cold weather coming and its been warm. Bees very active but nothing to forest on. Anyway, I made a couple of batches. 1 1/3 water to 5lbs of sugar. Boiled at 220 degrees then poured in parchment paper to cool.

I had boiled the excess wax from the cut out we did 2 days ago and I had the filtered honey/wax water leftover. I made a batch of bee candy using that very dark honey/wax smelling water to make a batch. Then as it was cooling, down around 140 degrees I added some strong lemon smelling pollen powder and mixed it up. I didn't
    want to cook the pollen powder.

The honey/wax/pollen powder bee candy is on the right.

What do you think. Good idea or bad. It sure smelled good while it was cooking. Well see if they eat it.

2013-01-12_23-57-15_415.jpg

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It looks like fudge. As you stated only time will tell Keep use posted on this please.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We may all learn something here. :thumbsup:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

very interesting let us know how it works

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Bee fudge, awesome! :smile:...maybe you are on to something....

6. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

If you are using it as winter feed aren't you supposed to keep it as clear as possible so the bee don't get dysentery or did I make that up?

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

That's why I run most things by this board before trying. I always learn something.

Looks like Dysentery has a lot to do with weather. Below 50 degrees for more than 2 weeks keeping bees from cleansing flights. In my area that is very unlikely to happen. But see, I learned something from your post. Thanks.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Try it out on your weakest hive--they're the one most likely to benefit from the candy and least likely to be a serious loss to you if it turns out not to be good.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

probably be fine. I added my pollen sub when mine was still stirrable (took the candy up to 245 or so before turning off heat), my bees have been eating it for a month and a half and all hives that got candy are alive. Lost 2 nucs before I made candy (well merged them with a hive). But other than that, well #5 is alive...