wonderful day in paradise

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so its 86 and sunny today (pokes Perry to see if he is froze solid yet) Cindy and I decided to pull some supers in the back yard, we pulled off 53lbs from the cone-o-bees original hive and 45lbs from the Canadian hive, and btw cone-o-bees hive has given us a total of 108lbs this year and the hive was started in Febuary:Dancing: real great line there, Friday we plan on pulling some supers from the 1st out yard, we are putting the supers right back on cause the girls are still hauling in the goods just not sure where they are getting it

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I see a knife and a scratcher in pic #2, which do you use? Looking at pic #3 I would say scratcher, lots of cappings coming out of the extractor.
    Also, in pic #4, replace that nut on the valve with a wing nut, makes tightening and loosening a lot easier.
    I can only dream of that kind of production where I am at! :thumbsup: I believe you took some queens or nucs off cone-o-bees, looks like a good move! :mrgreen:

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yes Perry I actually split cone-o-bees once from 5 nine inch boxes to a 3 and a 2 box hives and added supers then took some small splits off during the summer, I think I have 2 large hives 1 double brood box and 2 nucs atm from the cone-o-bees hive. also as far as the gear Im using Im all ready looking at a 18 frame spinner with a much better filter system and a 30 gallon holding tank, I figure Im about a year ahead of where I thought I would be thats why the extracting gear is so inadequate but Ill try to get caught up during the winter here (all 2 weeks of it) I use a knife most of the time and the scratcher just to get the low spots.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Very nice indeed.

I really like the look of a fully capped deep frame.
    I have a bunch in my brood boxes but need to leave them for the bees.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Zoo, that's wonderful! :coolphotos:

I have a carton of those little half pint jars too, great for gifts.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I like it! I am going to utilize some of those jars also for gifts....

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

a 2 day total of 182lbs of honey, and only 2 of my hives are a year old, I cant wait for next years extraction.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations Zoo. An amazing year for you for sure. :thumbsup:
    After the crop you take off next year, we'll talk and see if you still think that part is as much fun. :lol:
    Start looking for a streamlined way to harvest cause at the rate you are going anything that can make it easier will be worth it.
    Well done!

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol Perry, my 2nd year took 5 deeps off my hives, because of their location, had to WALK them to my truck over about 20 acre field quite a chore lol.
    Barry

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The sunshine state proves itself once again. Great going zookeep. :grin:

11. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

Tampa is bringing in Golden Rain Tree nectar

Hi Sarasota, Tampa here. I just pulled 47 lbs from a medium that's been feeding off the Golden Rain tree. Between the palms for pollen and the golden raintree, lotsa honey. And when you think this was a hive that was under attack by SHBs and ants. I put the half-filled medium back on and added another on top just in case. We've got at least another month of flow if we're lucky. Fingers crossed. Glad you're doing well. I got no Spring honey at all.

12. CarrollwoodBees

Just be vigilant. I had a great first year, and then my second year was a complete and total disaster: wax moths, swarms, SHBs, lost all 3 hives, well 2 and 1/2. The 3rd I let requeen itself and it is a so-so hive. I took 2 deep frames yesterday and that's it for that hive. When you're in North Tampa, stop by. You can find me on Facebook at Tampa-Local-Honey.

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

pulled another 38 lbs on Tuesday, think it will be the last for a while, found 2 queens again in 1 of the cone-o-bees daughter hives, 1 above 1 bellow the excluder again, would love to know why they keep doing that.

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

They are trying to gently hint to you that you should increase your holdings. After all, it's nice to work for a beek who takes such good care of his hives. :grin:

15. CarrollwoodBees

Brood separated?

I would think you had brood in the one on the other side of the excluder from the queen, if I understand wha tyou wrote. I was told they'll start another queen when the existing queen can't get to the brood.