Wood thickness and insulation

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by wyvern, Feb 26, 2012.

1. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I am working on another KTBH. I went to one of the big box lumber stores today and priced 1"X12"X6' boards (Ends and sides of the hive). They were more expensive than 2"X12"X6' lumber. The way I see it, the 2"wood sides and ends will insulate a lot more than the 1" wood will. Should be more like a hollow log? It will be really heavy, but, I won't be moving the hive anyway. any reason it won't work?

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Our KTBH is made of 2 by 12s. It is several years old and holds up much better than the thin wood.

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

I would think it would be better also. If I make another one, I'll use 2X also.

4. Ernie Beeboy

Ernie Beeboy New Member

I make my Top Bars and Warres out of 2X10's and 2X12's-here is a little secret. For 2X10's or even 2X12's go through the stack of wood and pick out the lightest planks you can find. You will find that there is a difference. Having a lighter hive is only a fringe benefit to the fact that the lightest planks have the highest R value. The light wood has tiny air pockets in it, and can have up to double the R value of heavy solid planks. I have never had a problem sorting through the lumber stack at the big box stores, believe they want your business.

Ernie

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good tip Ernie.