Woodenware Templates

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Walt B, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I decided to leave nothing to chance, and measurement, and build my own woodenware using unassembled items purchased from suppliers as templates. My first endeavor was hive stands and worked out great. I even modified them to accept a tray of vegetable oil as small hive beetle traps. Screened bottom boards were next. :thumbsup:

Armed with these successes, I ordered an unassembled hive body. I was going to add to my Nuc inventory and measure a nuc width and use the legth and depth from the "template".

Ready? The wood for the nuc (1"x12"x6') was $0.68 more than a precut, finger jointed nuc! :eek:

I made a nice nuc, but I think I'll just order bodies and supers from now on. :)

Walt

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

make your nucs out of 1/2" plywood. A 4 x 8 sheet will make four of them with a couple of pieces for the next batch.

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Thanks, I'll go with that on the next go around.

Walt

4. mmclean

mmclean New Member

Does this include the cost of shipping?

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Yes, shipping included.

Walt

6. mmclean

mmclean New Member

So...where did you get your hive body? I was planning on making my own. I don't mind paying for the product, just hate doubling the cost for shipping. That how I got interested in beekeeping. I guess nobody here gets stuck paying shipping on 5 gal of honey.

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The price quoted was from Mann Lake Ltd. The deal with the shipping is that orders of $100 or more have free shipping. I always go over $100.

But, you have to watch and compare what you purchase: I just bought some foundation and frames from another supplier that was less expensive, even with the shipping added.

I believe Brushy Mountain has offered free shipping during December for the last couple of years. The offer was only for customers east of the Mississippi which left me out, but it might be an opportunity for you.

Walt

8. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

Walt B,
    I have designed some of my own beekeeping equipment. Here is a link to the plans -- SketchUp Plans

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Joseph, Thanks for the link. I think that will be valuable to many more than just me. Thanks again.

Walt

10. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

You're welcome Walt.

Of course, you need the free SketchUp program from Google in order to manipulate the plan files and to obtain dimensions.

Most or all of the plans are custom designed to suit my own purposes, but the supers are a standard dimension for an 8-frame medium, likewise the frames, though most of my frame dimensions are for 1-1/4" wide end bars and 15/16" wide top bars. Also, any of the plans can be modified to suit your own purposes using Google SketchUp.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those are some good plans Joseph, thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip..
    Here is a link to the plans -- SketchUp Plans

tecumseh:
    Exceptionally without a doubt.

perhaps Walt or Joseph might inform the crowd what SketchUP Plans is or does? I know I am in the dark here.

13. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Sketch Up is a free downloadable modeling program from Google. The basic is free, but for $500 you can get the upgrade. The marketing is similar to Google Earth: the basic program is very good, but the maps you see on the evening news are from the big dollars version.

Sketch Up allow you to design in 3-D. Once completed, you may rotate the 3-D object to check fit, features, etc. I imagine it takes considerable experience and time to create the designs that Joseph did. Downloading the free version allows you to "play" with Joseph's designs: zoom in, click on a couple of points to find the thicknesses or lengths.

When I was in school we used pencil and paper (high school was architect's linen and ink) to make engineering drawings. We also used slide rules. I think for me to get proficient with 3-D modeling would take a herculean effort. Whence the admiration for those who do.

Walt

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Walt you will be glad to know that pencil and paper are not dead, I still design fire sprinkler systems with it.
    That is what I was taught on and still design with it, less the slide rule, although I do have Dad's.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ahh sliderules and a great topic for another thread...