Woodworking - Canadian style

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 28, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Finished milling up bunch of deeps (18) and mediums (20), rabbeting the joints and the frame rests. All ready to glue and screw (weather is turning bad again for a couple of days so this will be good inside work).
    Also built a frame jig (see other thread).
    Now,...........for all you spoiled southern keeps, with your warm weather, and 365 day a year beekeeping, and your fancy shops, and (on and on and on)
    Pay close attention to the last picture!

Woodworking, Canadian style! 002.jpg

Mediums ready to be built (bags of sugar to the left, and sitting on top for weight) :lol:

Woodworking, Canadian style! 003.jpg

Stack of deeps, milled, ready to be built (tool box on top for weight).

Woodworking, Canadian style! 004.jpg

Frame jig, flanked by bottom board rails, ready to be built. Stack of cardboard boxes in back = 300 frames, to be built. :shock:

Clean up?
    Easy when you're using a Canadian workshop! :rolling:
    Advantage? Easy clean up, and no over-heating of equipment! :wink:

Woodworking, Canadian style! 006.jpg

2. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Very nice, Perry. You've inspired me to get out into the garage and make some sawdust!

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Not much of a scrap pile for all the stuff you made.:thumbsup: Huuuh, don't eat the yellow snow.:lol: Jack

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I pull my table saw out in the garage and near the opening since I have no room in the actual workshop. I open the door to let the dust fly out. So, I understand about the chilled woodworking. I used both the last two evenings cutting and rabbeting so I could spend the really cold days ahead gluing and stapling. Nice pics Perry!

5. Minz

Minz Member

Talk to me about the bottom board rails. Looks like they are cut out to receive each other. Like in the above post I need to put bottom cleats on mine and am debating using a 2x4 (would need to buy L) or a 1”+ piece of hemlock that I still have a pile of to use up. I am thinking going 1x4.5”(most of the boards are about 9” in the shop). I could run them through the planer and make up some 2x material if I can justify the fancy cut outs.
    I am making a jig out of deep that I have one short and one long side left (counting not my best skill).

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Minz:
    Here are pics of the bottom board pieces:
    I mill 7/8" by 2 inch. Then I dado in a 3/4" wide slot. (3/4" on one side and 1/2" on the other).

Bottom boards 003.jpg Bottom boards 005.jpg

On the end piece I also rabbet in 7/8" on the ends (to accept the side rails).

Bottom boards 006.jpg Bottom boards 007.jpg

Then I just use 4 pieces 1 x 6" T @ G and slide them in, glue, and staple (or screw).

Bottom boards 008.jpg Bottom boards 009.jpg Bottom boards 010.jpg

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Perry,
    Really cool pics. Did you make the telescoping covers in pic 2? Are you using a router or table saw for your dado and rabbet cuts? Do you have to clamp your deeps together when using the rabbet joint instead of box joints in the corners? Thanks for sharing!

Is that pirate Barney in pic 3?:lol:

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yes, I made those a couple years ago (lids, inner covers, and bee escapes). I use dado blades on the table saw. No clamps, just glue and screw.
    (Backyardigans figure, :lol: Box is full of stuff to be donated, things my boy outgrew years ago)

New gear 003.jpg New gear 001.jpg New gear 002.jpg

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Great pics, Perry! Thanks for sharing...looks like you've got some long hours to put in getting ready for spring. Love the workshop and the dust collection system! Looks just like mine!

10. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Great Job! Should we be putting in our orders through you Perry?

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great pics perry, and as always, i enjoy them, thank you! :grin: