Woohoo, Bees Are Ordered!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by SuiGeneris, Nov 6, 2017.

1. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I got my order in on Friday for the bees for my first hive. Should be ready for pickup at the beginning of May.

Guess I gotta start building by boxes and frames!

Bryan

2. Paul Cottier

Paul Cottier New Member

Nice! I need to build some nucs for splits next spring.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have boxes of frames to build, and I need to get my deep nuc back from the guy I loaned it to.

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

(dumb) question - and maybe something that I should start a new thread on...

...but I was wondering if anyone had a particular type of varnish they recommend for hives. I was planning on varnishing the outsides (insides unpainted), rather than painting, to keep the more natural wood look. There are a lot of options out there (classical varnish, polyurethane, epoxy, oil-based, spar, acrylic, etc), and I was wondering what people had success (or failures) with.

thanks again

Bryan

5. Gypsi

I am experimenting with Tung Oil. Polyurethane super spar fails in Texas sun

6. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I've read in other places that polyurethane has issues with UV...that's one off of the list!

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I use thinned down ( just a little) rustoleum white oil based paint..holds up to everything, only on the outsides of the box...

8. Gypsi

I use Kilz 2 latex for the first 2 coats and then a pastel top coat if I want to be able to tell apart, or I've been known to paint flames with orange latex paint on the hot hive's white box, blue flowers on another. Home depot here has little pint sample jars that are perfect for decorating hives, in a good quality latex. It is holding up well to UV. Now it doesn't rain much here.