Woohoo! I got my way!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ablanton, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Pull up a chair because this is kind of a long story...

Ok, so there is a hollowed out oak stump in our front yard just in front of the porch that my wife keeps flowers planted in. Back in the spring, I mentioned that it might be a good place to put my hive. I had my eye on this spot because it gets a fair amount of sunlight. The back yard is very shady.

"You are crazy!" exclaims my wife. "You aren't putting bees in the front yard!" I reply with, "But they won't hurt anybody". She responds with "The bees go in the back yard."

Well, like every guy who has been married for any period of time, I have learned that if you don't serve the queen you wind up in the dungeon. Dungeons are cold & dark. The bees went in the back yard.

My hive did so well, that I was able to pull three frames and start a split at the beginning of June. I put the nuc box in the front yard while the wife was shopping (hee hee). When she gets home, she sees the bees.

"Why are there bees in the front yard?".
    "Oh, well um, it's just temporary. The guys on the bee forum say to move the split away from the main hive or the bees may try to go back to the main hive. It'll just be there a couple of weeks."
    "Okay" with a dubious tone.

So we have a little table on the front yard where we can sit and drink coffee.

IMAG0185.jpg

A few days later, I catch the wife sitting there watching the bees.

"A-HA!", says I. "I see you watching my bees! I told you they were harmless!"
    "Well, they are kind of interesting to watch"
    "Yeah, I think a decorative garden hive would look pretty neat right there."
    "Yes, maybe... But ONLY if it is pretty."
    "Of coouurrrse it will be pretty, dear!"

So, a few days later I come home for lunch and the yard is full of a big cloud of bees doing orientation flights. Apparently, the capped brood is beginning to hatch. I'm thinking, "COOL!" I go in the house...

"Hey, did you see my bees???"
    "Yes... I don't know about these bees..."
    "Hey, you already said I could have them there! You can't change your mind!"
    "Yeeesss... I know I did..." with a tone of resignation.

So I spend the next three weeks building the "pretty" hive. Finally, today it is ready!

IMAG0182.jpg IMAG0183.jpg IMAG0186.jpg IMAG0188.jpg

After a few pix, I moved the girls...

IMAG0191.jpg

Lucky for me, the wife went to see her mother today and wasn't there. The yard was full of some pretty ticked off bees for two or three hours. The foragers were a bit confused at their "home" looking different. They were not happy. But after plenty of fanning, everybody made it into their new quarters.

IMAG0190.jpg

And the best part? I get to sit on the porch with a nice glass of tea or cup of coffee, and watch my bees with a loving wife who puts up with a lot just to make me happy!

IMAG0184.jpg

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The well known "secret" to success is that each one does what he/she can in order to make the other one happy.
    It's a beautiful hive to look at, placed where it can be appreciated by one and all. :grin:

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

And a beautiful hive it is indeed! I'd like that in my front yard. (Read your entry while I enjoyed a cup of coffee too)

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Good job and good idea, on the "pretty" hive and making the boss happy.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Excellent! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

I have often considered placing a couple of "fake" hives on either side of the end of our driveway as "markers". I figured it would let everyone know where we live and maybe put a halt to the "are those hives in your yard"? If anyone asks I could just tell them "No, they're just driveway markers". :mrgreen:

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I could put a hive or two in front road, but is VERY residential area even with deflector fencing I would be blamed for every wasp or yellowjacket sing

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

that is a quite nice job you did on building that 'garden style' hive. a real beauty to behold.

8. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

Thanks for the good read first thing in the morning. Neat story with nice ending. Nice pics, too. I also read it over morning cup of coffee.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

It would have been better with a cup of coffee, but the Keurig is on the fritz :cry:

10. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Nice story. You've got a good looking hive there.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Very very nice. Love sitting and watching my hives.

12. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

You may have won the battle, but my own experience says that you will lose the war! LOL!

13. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Beautiful craftsmanship, Andy. Is that aromatic cedar? If so, this would help to debunk the theory (of some) that it shouldn't be used for hive construction (and I wonder if it would repel the wax moth?).

WELL DONE!

Oh ... I hope you fair better than I did. After secretly constructing my hive, I finally had to share with my wife the "we" are beekeepers. That cost me a full set of appliances this weekend for our kitchen remodel. I guess we're both happy now! :)

14. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I love your pretty hives....:)

15. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

16. jim314

jim314 New Member

Great story and and even greater job on the beautiful hive you built.
    Jim

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Fantastic build and story...

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I just now saw this thread....love it!

You did a terrific job in getting that hive in the front yard!
    Your wife will miss the bees if they disappear from that spot now. :D

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

that was some pretty good thinking! I hope it works out for you. :)

20. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Great Hive Andy. How thick is the wood you uesed? I have some 3/4 inch boards that were cut from a few cedars we had. Just wondering if it is to thick. Tom