Word origin "Super"

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by djdhays, Jan 19, 2012.

1. djdhays

djdhays New Member

I'm a six month veteran beekeeper. :D I know what a honey super is but I wonder if anyone can give me a definitive answer as to why it's called that.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Check the OED for word origins.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would if I knew what OED was........

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

My guess is Oxford English Dictionary.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

The power of Latin

The word superimpose will give you the hint....

Super also means ABOVE

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

What if you bottom super? :rolling:

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

There's always one........lol

Kidding !!

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Superimpose: to place above, as in on top of.
    Superior: someone or something above someone or something in stature.
    Supercedure: to take or be placed in an elevated position.
    Superman: above all else in strength and abilities.
    Supervisor: one who oversees

Supers, as in honey supers, are placed above the brood box(es). They are superimposed, in a manner of speaking.

That's my take on it. But, the Oxford English Dictionary would give one a more complete and accurate description of the word, its' origin(s), its' many meanings and when it was first used in print. Online versions cost something to use. A good College Library would have one or have online access to it.

Maybe more commonly held/available dictionarys would suffice.

In this Thread, you are the Super.

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome... for a bit more accuracy in the kinds of question you post you might wish to consider narrowing your location down just a bit.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Would that be a sub super?

or, if it was better than most, it would be a super sub super! :drinks:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""What if you bottom super? :rolling: ""
    If there's a flow on, it's called a brood chamber.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

To a new beekeeper, being around a bunch of old beekeepers is like being in a foreign country, the terminology is strange to them. For instance, bees pulling out foundation? or drawing foundation? tellescoping top cover? migratory cover? ect. Do we have a bee terminology site on this forum. :confused: When i was in school i ask the teacher how to spell a word, she said look it up in the dictionary, i said if i could spell it i wouldn't have to look it up. Had to stay after school writing the word on the blackboard 100 times. :mrgreen: Jack

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks iddee, :thumbsup: Jack

16. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Supersilious: above and beyond all other silliness.

17. djdhays

djdhays New Member

I assumed it came from the word superimpose. I thought "definitive" would narrow the responses a bit. I am glad to see that many of you share my sense of humor. I hate trying to tip-toe through sticks in the mud.

To those of you who welcomed me, thank you. I don't really know if I'm a beekeeper or bee killer yet. My avatar shows my first colony. It's a five gallon bucket a friend used for a seat in his tree stand. Somewhere between the 2010 and 2011 deer season these ladies thought it a good home. He didn't want to kill them but despite my assurances that they weren't likely to bother him in the winter, he refused to share his tree stand. I learned enough so far to know that late October is not a good time to be ripping hives apart so I took the whole bucket. I made the screened base to haul them home as I thought being stung repeatedly might impair my ability to drive. I got stung once in the process of unscrewing the bucket from the tree stand which was a good thing. I'd much rather find out I'm not macho enough to handle bee stings before I invest countless hours and precious dollars in building and buying equipment. As of the last warm spell, they were still alive. It was around 48°F when I got them and it looked to me like the bucket was full of bees. (I've since learned that they start the winter at the bottom and work up.) I'm hopeful they were in there long enough to prepare for winter. By spring I'll be ready with their second home and plenty of food.

I've already found someone who is going to let me try a trap out this spring. I've built hives and nucs and traps. Frames are in the works. If all goes well, I'll be a beekeeper for the rest of my life. ("If all goes well" means "if my wife likes my honey much better than store bought")

I've joined my local association, The Columbiana and Mahoning County (Ohio) Beekeepers Association and my list of information resources is growing. I haven't been to any seminars yet but they're coming. My wife says she's willing to help all she can as long as it doesn't involve actually being near the bees or physical labor. So she'll attend meetings and help me remember all the things I heard and eat honey.

Again, thanks for the responses and the warm welcome. Maybe someday I'll be giving advice instead of asking for it.

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome once again... we have several Ohio bee keeper and I think even sqkcrk (ie Mark) was originally from Ohio. long ago I myself began bee keeping just on the other side of the Ohio river in West Virginia (just a bit down the Kanawaha River from Point Pleasant).

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I've been a beekeeper from many States and in many states. Got a good bit of education and a degree from OH. Loved my time there. Lots of good memories.

20. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Super is short for superstructure, like nuc is short for nucleus

From Wikipedia:

A superstructure is an upward extension of an existing structure above a baseline. This term is applied to various kinds of physical structures such as buildings, bridges, or ships. The word "superstructure" is a combination of the Latin prefix, super, (meaning above, in addition) with the Latin stem word, structure, (meaning to build or to heap up).