Working Bees by the sign of the Moon

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Feb 18, 2013.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A fellow beekeeper gave me a photocopy of The North American Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar 2012 by Maria and Matthias Thun. Much like the Farmer's Almanac, it also includes dates for working your bees. I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this concept.

The days are categorized into the following areas of Root, Flower, Leaf, Fruit, and Water.
    My friend copied the February 2013 calendar for me.

A quote from the material given to me:
    "Earth-Root days can be selected for opening the hive if the bees need to do more building. Light-Flower days encourage brood activity and colony development. Warmth-Fruit days stimulate the collection of nectar. Water-Leaf days are unsuitable for working in the hive or for the removal and processing of honey."

As I understand it 2/18/13 is a root day. Hives worked on that day will build comb.
    2/22 and 2/23 are flower and leaf days. The hives worked on those days will produce honey.
    2/25 and 2/26 are warm fruit days and the bees worked that day will collect nectar.
    2/27 and 2/28 are earth root days which should stimulate comb building.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about this and I could be wrong about what I telling you!
    I just wondered if anyone else was familiar with this couple's work.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It wouldn't work for me, those are usually snow days. :lol:

3. srvfantexasflood

I agree. Not a good day for working bees here either. But someone in Florida or Texas might have a mild, sunny day.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Put copies of it in each hive and I bet you will see the bees pore over it with great solemnity! They will positively devour it! (or at least break it down into pieces they can take to the edge of the landing board)

5. Omie

Omie New Member

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

That is very interesting to me. As an 18 year old working for the State Highway Department I had a first hand encounter with "doing things by the signs." I worked that summer before college with the engineers laying out / surveying where right of ways lay and so on anytime a new road was being built or a gravel road being paved. Another one of our jobs was seeing that any dead animals found along the road being worked were buried. A semi trailer truck hit a grown horse and killed it along that stretch of road. We were dispatched to bury it and being the youngest, I was given the job of stopping / directing traffic while the backhoe was digging the "grave," which was done right in the ditch of the road. An elderly black man stopped and asked me what was going on. I told him and he said, "you're digging that hole in the wrong sign." He didn't say anything else to me but pulled his truck to the side of the road and walked down to where the other 3 members of our crew were standing watching the grave being dug. He told them the same thing and added "you won't have enough dirt to fill the hole" and walked back to his truck. He stopped again next to me and said, "young man, mark my words, they'll not have enough dirt to fill that hole when they bury that horse." He left and in a short while the hole was finished and the backhoe pushed the dead horse into the hole. He started pushing the dirt into the hole and even with a 800 pound horse in there, he didn't have enough dirt to fill the hole! The old black man was right. I would not have believed it without seeing it myself but I became a believer in the "signs" after that.

And a note: my notation of an old "black" man not intended as a racist remark. This happened during the 1967 - 1968 time frame when racial tensions were, maybe not at their highest, but still unsettled in Alabama. The other 3 men (white) were not going to listen / believe anything a black man told them anyway and laughed about it after he left. The laughter stopped when the hole was only 3/4 full when the dirt was gone.

Now does this work with bees? I have no idea but it works with dirt.

7. srvfantexasflood

Wayne,
    That is a very interesting story. This only makes me more curious. My dad always weened calves by the sign of the moon. He said if he did it at the wrong time, they would bawl non-stop.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Here is the experience of someone who has burried at least a dozen horses and more dogs and at least thirty humans and never yet did I have a shortage of dirt to fill the holes. It would be quite a coincidence or a great miracle indeed if the heavenly bodies chose to align themselves with my digging!

Wayne, weaned calves and their mothers always bawl a lot but my experience is that it does stop!

9. Ray

Ray Member

Ahhhh...Frank, if I EVER tick you off, let me know immediately and I WILL apologize :)

10. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Ray, the humans all died of natural causes, I swear, but a good part of the animals not so much. I used to shoe horses and put them down The wife and I were very much part of the horse community. I met her at the riding stable she worked at. I also have a backhoe and had the contract for a while doing the burials in the graveyard which I conveniently live next door to.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

frank-
    "Here is the experience of someone who has burried at least a dozen horses and more dogs and at least thirty humans and never yet did I have a shortage of dirt to fill the holes."

ray-
    Ahhhh...Frank, if I EVER tick you off, let me know immediately and I WILL apologize :smile:

franks reply:
    "Ray, the humans all died of natural causes, I swear,"

:rotfl:too funny frank! and btw ditto ray! :lol: