Worms on old pollen pattie

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Are these wax moth larvae? They are on top of the inner cover in an old pollen pattie that I removed. There were all different sizes. This hive also has beetle blaster traps and there were 3 dead beetles in the trap. All the frames looked good (no damage, lots of capped honey, brood, and pollen).
    I only saw these in one hive and I only had a pollen pattie in this hive.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. pturley

pturley New Member

No, if I zoom in they look more like SHB larvae to me. SHB larvae have small bumps in rows on each segment (which I believe these appear to have), Wax moth larvae do not.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Can't tell for sure. Look like SHB to me. Look for batches of very small eggs grouped together in the patty. They are about the size of bee eggs, but will be a dozen or more together.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Too late I burned it.
    I had a formic acid pad on top of the 3rd box at the instruction of my state beekeeper and am wondering if the hive beetles moved up on top of the inner cover because of the smell. The smell is gone now and I never really saw any varroa mites. Looking back maybe I shouldn't have used them. Man they stunk when we first applied them. Reminded me of something I once smelled in science class. The 3 hives are doing well inspite of the treatment and I'm told they also work for trachea as well..

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have found that SHB love the pollen patties. They will fill them with eggs.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks like small hive beetles to me also. as someone suggested they are highly attracted to pollen, frames of pollen or pollen substitute. I would guess the formic acid drove out the bees which is 1) why it was not consumed by the bees and 2) thereby unguarded was of prime interest to the shb.

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Just read an article, in the latest issue of the American Bee Journal that SHB larvae love pollen patties.

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Here's a simple test to determine if you have SHB larvae or wax moth larvae. Pick one up and squeeze it between thumb and index finger. If wax moth larvae they will pop rather easily and squirt liquid. SHB larvae are much, much harder to "pop". They are quite rubbery to the feel and will roll between your fingers even when great pressure is applied.

SHB larvae also don't get nearly as big as wax moth larvae.

I believe what you have is SHB larvae as well.

whether SHB or wax moth larvae both make fantastic chicken feed and very good fish bait!

...JP

9. Omie

Omie New Member

I hear pollen patties don't stay fresh for very long, and if stored, best stored frozen until needed. Your bees are way better off gathering natural fresh pollen right now (there is a huge goldenrod pollen banquet going on right now in the northeast). Good that you removed that gross beetle buffet/incubator from out of the hive.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks! We got rid of the pollen patties anyway. There is alot of pollen coming in and the hives wreak of Goldenrod.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Good for you for checking. :thumbsup:
    Left unchecked, you could have invited a disaster into your hive :cry: .
    You show why "let alone beekeeping" is no longer a viable option for beekeepers. :!:

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Will the SHB disappear when the cold temps get here?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Most will. A few will winter in the cluster.