Worried we lost one

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 40 Acre Bees, May 24, 2013.

1. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

We installed 2 nucs on Tuesday of this week. Yesterday we walked by and there was lots of activity on one of the hives and basically none on the second. Same today my wife went by and one hive was frantic with activity, and no bees around the second. When we purchased our nucs the seller was unsure whether or not the one queen was laying or not (hive with no activity), and with the weather we have been having it has been impossible to take a good look. Is it possible all the bees are heading to the hive where the queen is laying. We set the hives up about 6 feet apart. Any advice would be appreicated.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If one was queenless, it is likely they joined the queen right one. If it isn't queenless, they may possibly drift to the stronger hive, but the chances are much less likely.

If the one is queenless, I would ask for the price of a queen back from the supplier and leave them combined. Make a split after they get stronger.

If both queens are present, I would switch places with the two hives and they will equalize the population somewhat.

3. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

UPDATE
    Well we had a local bee keeper come in today and take a look at our hive. The queen is there but there is no sign what so ever of eggs, or no sign of any capped brood (Perry you were right). Being very new to this, we did not realize when we installed the nuc that there was no brood. My question is that when we purchased the nuc the beekeeper knew the queen may not be laying, but should there have not been capped brood in the nuc. We are not very happy as we have one hive that is flourishing and the other is declining. My inclination is to pack these frames up and ask the supplier for a new nuc, because he did not supply what he promised. Looking for thoughts and ideas. Thanks

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""My inclination is to pack these frames up and ask the supplier for a new nuc, because he did not supply what he promised""

ABSOLUTELY!

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im with Iddee on this. I can't imagine a reputable bee keep selling a nuc that he is aware the queen might not be laying

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I agree with Iddee and riverrat. If this is a reputable supplier, he should make good on your loss.

7. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

Talked to my supplier this afternoon and he is going to prepare a new nuc for us to pick up Tuesday evening. Makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for your replies

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Is he introducing a new queen or transfering the old queen or a third option of letting them make there own. I think I would give it a week or 2 before I picked it up.

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

You could have a virgin queen or a newly mated queen......That could be why he wasn't sure the queen was laying (yet). Its fairly common for a seller to make splits with queen cells and wait for them to hatch, then mate and then start to lay. It takes time. :)

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dunno, in my HO, a nuc ought to have a LAYING QUEEN and BROOD before it is sold, (so a proven queen). if not, then this is just a 'package' in a nuc hive with a queen added of unknown laying capability. seems the 'standard's' are changing on what constitutes a nuc hive these days, and it is very disheartening to see new beekeepers strapped with problems from the get go and the seller knows or should know the challenges.
    40 acre, how is your supplier preparing the nuc?
    personally, to add to what riverrat said, i would ask for a proven laying queen, and a nuc with brood in it from that queen.

sorry for getting on a 'horse' about this, but is very annoying to me. :grin:

11. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

Picked up another nuc, today, and the supplier was very accommodating. We did not have a chance to take a real good look but from a quick inspection when installing the frames everything looked real good. Look very healthy compared to the last one. Thank goodness we started with two hives, it gave us the opportunity to see that the one was not doing so well, and got things rectified right away. I was told if I have any problems what so ever he would bring another one down. I really believe he is trying to make things right, and that is good to know. I do have to say my wife and I are already completely mesmerized with these little creatures, they are so fascinating and gentle. Now if we could only get some warm weather and sun.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

40 acre,
    happy to hear your supplier was accommodating, and will be. sorry (to a certain degree) about my outspoken 'horse' adventure.....:grin: some beekeepers are not as fortunate, they get discouraged and just plain quit. thanks for your post and your update, will be looking forward to reading many more posts!

13. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

As I mentioned above we installed our nuc on Tuesday and it looked good from what we could see. Today I walked up just to take a look at the activity and both hives were quite active, except that the hive where I just installed the nuc had a few hundred or so dead bees around the hive. When we installed the nuc there were still a few bees in the super that we had taken the frames out of when we returned the first nuc to the supplier. Could the newly installed bees thought these bees were robbing or could I have something else going on. Any thoughts very much appreciated, as we really didn't want to open it for a close examination till Sunday.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Likely fighting with the different bees. It is safe to check at any time. Just not too often. Twice in a week is OK. Twice every week is not.

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You have me on this one. Got to ask here ??????????? :grin:

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Clear away the dead bees so you can see if more dead bees appear. If you see that new dead bees keep appearing, it could mean that you have a problem with robbing, in which case you should reduce the size of the entrances on BOTH hives to a minimum....enough to allow in/out traffic, but not so much as to require a lot of guard bees.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Rat, I have a hive that hasn't been looked at in 2 months. I could look through it twice in the same week and don't think it would hurt a thing. If I went through it twice every week for 2 months, it would definitely cause it to diminish.

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

gottcha I was just doing a check on your hive smoker makiung sure it was still legal to use:grin:

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:
    Don't feel bad Rat, I had to go back and read it twice before I picked up on it (Iddee speak). :wink:

20. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I got it Iddee, don't let them get to you. Somebody has to show the rest how it is done :)