Would bees build on divided foundation?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Mosti, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I have some cuts of new foundation left which thought that I will use on supers, supported by wire for extraction. This foundation is leftover from cutting to make national size frame foundation from commercial size foundation...so to make 1 super I would need 2 lengthwise pieces support by vertical wire which I heat up by means of a 12v current through a car battry charger. I hope you got the idea.

My question is will bees pull comb and fix the lengthwise cut or will they work the comb separtly? I intend to match the comb however my thoughts are unsure of what the bees will do. Has anyone done this before??

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the girls do as the girls do. my guess is likely they will work it as individual sheets of wax... the girls can make a bad guesser out of me.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will go from one end of the frame to the other, whatever foundation you put in. They may even pull the empty space before pulling the strips.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

No prob. Just be prepared for the appearance of unusually shaped/sized cells where the sheets meet. :cool:

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Commercial deep foundation is 2" wider and 1.5" deeper than National deep foundation. I imagine that the Commercial foundation you have is pre-wired. You will be getting some off-cuts 1.5" deep and 15 and 7/16" long with odd bits of embedded wire.

If I remember correctly, you are new to beekeeping. I would suggest you keep it simple. Buy some National super wired foundation. It will make life easier for you to install and you will not have fiddle around trying to wire in bits. Save the bits of Commercial foundation --- when you have more experience you may find a use for them. You can always put the bits in a solar extractor and sell wax products to tourists.

Sorry if I sound like an old codger. Thrift is all very well but sometimes not worth the effort. .:smile:

6. Mosti

Mosti New Member

The foundation I have and use i.e new and leftovers are unwired, I wire them using a 12V supply.

In putting ends together I intend not to leave any empty spaces.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bees will use about anything, I have discovered, including fishing line support with no foundation at all!

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

would it be possible to piece together a starter strip across the top of the frame then let them have at it.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

With deep frames, I'd do fishing line or wire for the bees to attach to for extra support, under that starter strip. Interesting comb occasionally appears in empty deep frames, but it is what it is. Usually useable as long as fed in between frames with full foundation.

Gypsi

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a barbarian snip..
    I would suggest you keep it simple.

tecumseh:
    likely the best advice anyone could give a new beekeeper and even some of us old bee keepers from time to time.