Would you worry?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bens-Bees, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I need more wax to seal some equipment than I have so I need to buy some. My concern is over the possibility of of spreading diseases via the wax. Should I be at all conderned about that, or are all the fungi and bacteria and viruses killed off when the wax is rendered?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I really work hard at not worring about much of anything except maintaining my girlish figure and making certain my nails don't get broken or chipped (add your favorite funny face here).

rendered wax usually requires a great deal of very hot water, or bumped up one notch steam. I would think??? either would render most pathogens nonviable. I think a lot of the more processed and bleached wax in also exposed to a bit of hydrogen perioxide which would also tend to kill almost anything.

I would suspect (theorizing here) that the largest risk would be pesticides incorporated into the wax. Enough hot water or steam should also render much of this inert.. ie it should have the net effect of substantially reducing the LD-50 of the product.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I agree, I wouldn't give it much thought.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought about pesticides being in it... but I guess I won't worry too much, or I'll try not to anyway.

By the way, anyone know a good source for good but CHEAP beeswax? There's a craft store not too far from me that sells it for $10 per pound, but I'm guessing at that price it probably came from AFB infested hives or something like that, and it doesn't even really look very good either, not like wax should look. I just need some to waterproof some woodenware though, so it might not matter much.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

PM Alleyyooper. He sells it.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

What are you sealing w/ beeswax?

Yeah, I wouldn't worry either. Not as much as I do about brother techumseh. :)

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, Sqkcrk, me and brother Tec don't got no problems. Only smart people have problems. You don't have to worry 'bout us none... :) :D

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Currently, Miller type feeders.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sgtmaj writes:
    I just need some to waterproof some woodenware though, so it might not matter much.

tecumseh:
    I use the darkest uglyist wax I have for sealing feeders. if alley can't help ya' with the wax just drop me a pm here. I have a goodly stack of really ugly wax which I would be EXTREMELY HAPPY to sell for much less than $10/pound.

I have no idea why brother mark might worry about poor little tecumseh (with a little t if you wish to get it right).... who lives in the south and gets to play with the girls all winter long.

10. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

An idea. Maybe you should use something other than wax to seal the corners. Tub and sink sealer perhaps? And then the rest w/ wax? Just a thought.

If I get a chance, I'll ask Mike Palmer what he seals his wooden inside feeders w/.

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Oh, you know me t. I have concerns about all sorts of folks who love insects, especially bees. It must be some sort of psych condition, don't ya think? :)

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I ain't sure psyche is the proper term mark... but what the heck it will do in the pinch.

and yea I know exactly of what you speak mark... as my old web site use to say.... 'dedicated to those very small things in life that are only noticed when they are gone'. or something like that and as I have casually mention to any number of folks beekeepers WILL GO EXTINCT long before 'the girls' go extinct.

ho hum... I do hope I don't break one of my perfectly lovely nails while typing on this keyboard. now that is something to worry about...... he.. he....