Wrapping made easy!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It took a few years for me to figure out a quick and easy way to wrap hives so I thought I'd share!

#1 - Basic hive set-up
    #2 - Cut tar or roofing paper to length and width (I use 19 1/2" x 6" 10") This works for double deep set-ups.
    #3 - Cut a piece of lath to 19 1/2" in length, and staple to one end of your tar paper. Roll it up around your lath and head out to your hive.
    #4 - From behind your hive, unfurl your paper draping it around your hive. (this pic is taken from the front of the hive to illustrate).
    #5 - Take the end without the lath, line it up along the middle of the back of your hive and secure it with 2 staples.
    #6 - Take the lath end and pull it tight, overlapping the end you have just stapled. You can use your hand to smooth out any slack in the paper.
    #7 - Once your paper is snug, simply nail 2 galvanized nails through the lath, and you're done.
    #8 - Something I do as an added feature is I place a strip of duct tape on all 4 corners and tie a nylon string around the works.

When you unwrap in the spring, simply pop out the 2 nails and 2 staples and roll up your paper for next year. I have gotten years out of mine and they get easier to use as they get worn into the "form" of the hive shape.

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Do you re-use your wraps or start over? Nice pictorial lesson Perry!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I re-use them Dave. The used one in the pictures is probably 3 or 4 years old. If you are careful when you remove them in the spring they will last a long time. I have them for triples as well as double deeps and even a single..
    I actually like them better when they have been "broke in" for a year as they have that hive shape formed into them. I like the fact that you can wrap them this way and never have to go to the front of the hive, everything is done from the back.
    (The ladies can be nasty when disturbed at the time of year these are put on).

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Perry everything makes more sense with a picture :thumbsup: when is the correct weather conditions to wrap , like hi/low temp? Right now we are going between 30 nights and 60 during the day?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Every location is different. Up here I usually wrap anywhere from the beginning of November to mid November. We are at highs of mid 40 F to lows of around 25 F.
    I haven't wrapped yet but will do so shortly. I want it to be a little colder consistently, wrapping too early can cause the bees to be more active and chew through their winter stores faster. My hives were heavy a month ago and surprisingly have already gone through a lot of their stores. I ordered fondant as insurance.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm beginning to worry just a little about this also. I saw 4 of my hives doing orientation flights today when I came home for lunch so I figure they are still very active and going through their honey stores.