Xmas bees

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Iddee, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You Florida beeks aren't the only ones that can get Xmas bees. Jacobs and I picked up this one the tree cutters didn't know about until the tree hit the ground. Now if it will just hold on until March, we will give it a lang home.

[​IMG]

2. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

so yer gonna leave it in the log till spring....spose that you would kinda have to since it would be to late to expect them to do much new home construction...will you capp the ends of the log with plywood...looks like the holes kinda big...is the comb visible from that end....i have a curious question...when that log hits the ground does the comb get damaged....

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, we'll leave it until March. If they live, we will take them out then.

The ends are now capped. The entrance is a 3inch round hole near the bottom center.

Most times, but this limb didn't hit hard and the comb is old, so it stayed intact. The comb is visible 6 in. in at the big end, and we cut into the comb on the other end about 12 inches. The comb we cut was empty.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

do you ever lose queens due to getting smushed between the combs when it falls ???

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Of course, but there's usually eggs, so the genetics can be saved.

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

what genetics do you look for when you wanna keep cutout bees ???

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All, until I see how they do. It takes at least a season to judge them. My biggest desire is mite resistant. The rest can be tolerated.

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

im really in the dark about the varroa still....actually any pest or disease cept for SHB...which is what i've been paying to since i have had them since day 1....you dont care about any other traits huh...i have to be careful bout saying FERAL bees to the inspector here...florida frowns on them now cause of the AHB scare :/

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just between you and I, Jerry has some very strange ideas about bees outside hives.

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

he's the big cheese here right....well im not to keen on all the ''do away with the feral bees'' stuff....im just a pup in all this but desroying all of the feral bees to possibly slow AHB down seems kinda silly an a big waste of time....they are here....it is what it is...an i dont see how they would kill them all anyways :/

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so you going to leave that stump in the back of your truck all winter? :shock:

I suspect Mr Hayes is playing very much a political battle. I don't suspect Mr Hayes is delusional enough to think any effort to kill all the bees in trees (add a long list of old boats and mobile home and....) is even possible. Developers and beekeeping is not a very good mix and just between me and you the developers in Florida have way more political clout. So (I suspect) Mr Hayes is forced to preach the sermon some folks want to hear.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Brandon done gone and took my bees away from me. :(
    He is more willing to keep feed out to them than I am.

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

awww....Iddee....somebody hornswaggled yer Xmas bees.....what a grinch :/

What do you mean the developers an bees dont mix Tec. Now ya done got my curiosity all peaked up....do i need to go beek on somebody....my gators is looken mighty thin...might be feeden time }:( dont mess with a mans bees....what do the developers got againts bees anyways }:(

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2k, developers bulldoze trees and flowers and plant concrete and brick. Bees can't make honey from concrete and brick.

15. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I get a lot of those , what I call "development refugee" bees myself. not this late in the year of course but come April my phone starts to ringing.

definitely have to be careful how a section or limb comes down.

I have a couple of tree lopper teams I'm friendly with who have at least one guy on them not afraid to come up into the tree with me (if I can get up there, I'm less monkey, more gorilla) to cut and bring them down all gentle like.

I usually go up and smoke them a bit. cover one open end with screen and bungee cord. then, with the setion having the nest in it roped to not fall, once the other end is cut, I will put a screen with a bungee cord so as to keep flying bee traffic down so as not to completely scare those big tuff lumberjacks.

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well that part i know about first hand an all to well....part of my job is to flag an locate the honeybees an yellow jacket nests on the lots getting surveyed so the loader operaters dont get tore up clearing the lot...thats how i got into bees in the first place....but since ive been beekeeping i put my name in the hat to remove the honey bees if i find them....havent been too many since i started but that will change....since i read what i could about the trapouts an got a little more info from Rast maybe i can start getting some from trees people dont want cut down....not much i can do about alot of them except educate the owner of the tree that they arent gonna swoop down a sting them....but the low ones i could trap out i spose with a little advice from the guys here....i still have more to read an Rast can show me some things when we get bees to trap...i know where there are 2 colonys i can get if i get permission....ones in a cable box an the other in the base of a small tree on the sewer plant property...i can set that box on a pallet on the ground if i want....its low....the cable box is in tarpon springs an its growing in numbers so ima inquire soon about that one....Tec mentioned big developers an goverment clout....are there big powerful developers that have problem with all bees ???