Yard Lights and Beehive placement

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ojaicir, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ojaicir

ojaicir New Member

Hi,

I have my Warre" hives ready and expect my packages of bees within a couple of Weeks.

I have just begun to worry that my very bright dusk to dawn yard light will bother my bees.

Do I need to find a really dark spot for them or is it OK just to make sure their entrance faces away from the light source.

PLEASE HELP!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself would avoid any light that can be directly seen from the front entry of a hive. This would include any dusk to dawn light plus any florescent type lights. Both of these (there may be other kinds of bulbs that pretty much do the same thing) are without a doubt* highly attractive to honeybees.

*ps.. there is nothing quite as confusing as to pluck a very nice new queen from your own front door light and wonder which of a dozen little queen rearing nucs she belongs too...

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

A nice little 91 year old lady had some honeybees in her large storage shed. There were hundreds of dead bees at the window and probably a hundred or so walking around on the twin-tube florescent light. More bees were on the light than were at the window. Once we sealed the colony off from being able to get inside the building proper we turned the light off and left the large door open...only took maybe five minutes for all the bees on the light to exit the building. The light was like a magnet to the bees while lit up. If my experience is anything to go on, do as tec said and don't let the bees see the light(s).

Ed

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Uh-o, I am going to check tonight if there would be any light getting to my hives and I think there is, if so I will have to move the stand I have up for them. Better now to know than when I get the bees.

kebee

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I have one of my hives behind my house. All summer long I find stray bees attracted to the window facing the hive, occasionally they find their way ainto the house--sometimes upsetting visitors. The light that attracts them is the normal indoor lighting of the room. A strong spot light would undoubtedly have a stronger effect. If your property can provide you with a dark corner, unexposed to the light, you will undoubtedly be better off. Turning the entrance of the hive to face away from the light might help, but probably won't be perfect.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I guess I'm the odd man out. If the light isn't directly in to the entrance, I see no reason the bees would leave the hive at night and go to it. Why would they.

I think if you turn the entrance away from the light, they will be fine.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sometimes, while taking an evening walk out the front entrance, bees "turn the corner", see the light and are attracted.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hopefully you will not think my first comments here are in any way contrary to what Iddee suggest in #6???? for myself it appeared the problem was promoted by the light that was in a straight line to the front entry.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

I checked mind last night and there is very little light so I am going to let the stand stay as is, no direct light to the entrance.

kebee