Year number 2

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ASTMedic, Mar 22, 2014.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

So I'm moving into year number 2. Boy I sure have learned a lot in my first year. Saw a hive supercede and learned how to feed the hive. It's been really cool.

So here in NorCal it's been warmer than normal, 75 today, so I started feeding both sup and syrup about a month ago or so ago. First sup to build numbers early and then syrup too since the stores started to drop in the hive once they got going.

Hive is strong and going like crazy. The bloom is on, they are out foraging like crazy and the hive stores are way up. The hive started to look cramped and brood looked like they were "fighting" for space. So I figured I needed to added some room to let them stretch their legs. All I had to add was another deep body so on it went. I put an excluder between the top and the second body down. I put 2 frames of brood/honey above the excluder and closed the hive up. I'm going to check the hive this week if the weather permits and see how things are going above the excluder. I've put one last bottle of syrup on to aid in the drawing of comb and that will be the last one unless this summer goes south like it very well may.

Still have the blackberry bushes to bloom and that's going to be the big one since the hive is backed up to a huge mass of vines.

So with all that said does anyone have any input on my actions? Good, bad or otherwise?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just keep an eye on things. I know of another keep in upper Cali whose hive just threw a swarm 2 days ago. They were feeding both as well and it took off. They caught the swarm so nothing lost.

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I'm hoping that the use of the excluder won't cause any swarm issues. I'm hoping by placing frames of brood above it will help them move through it.

4. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Got off shift lastnight and figured I'd take a peak in the hive since rain is in the forcast most of the week. (Note to self bees are not happy to be checked after sun down) They have move up through the excluder fine. So I'm good there. Now I just need them to draw out those new frames.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I'm hoping that the use of the excluder won't cause any swarm issues. I'm hoping by placing frames of brood above it will help them move through it.

tecumseh..
    sounds like you got the drill down just right. I wondered if you use a top entrance or at least an entry above the queen excluder? beyond the ventilation provided this can also greatly reduce crowding in the brood nest.

6. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I'm thinking of swinging by Mann and picking up a notched inner cover on my day off. May just notch the one I have myself. I use the popsicle stick trick on the inner cover to aid in ventilation already.

Funny thing cus the hive bodies I had them in warped and a gap between the two deeps formed. They were using that as an entrance so I got 2 new boxes to solve that issue. The more I started thinking and reading I realize it wasn't a bad thing and should have left it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so mother nature and the use of imperfect wood for a bee box did the trick????

8. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Ya basically. That and the fact that I didn't run screws in at the the corners of the box. Funny what we learn through little mistakes.